Options On Tta Intercoolers

TurboTAJim

WHAT INTERCOOLERS ARE AVAILABLE FOR OUR CARS? i'VE SEEN MANY THREADS BUT STILL NOT SURE WHO PUTS OUT A GOOD ONE. PLEASE HELP LIST MY OPTIONS.

THANKS

JIM

Jim:
I didnt think the options where all that good. I tried a BGC stretch that was for a GN and had limited luck with it d/t the fact that I couldnt run the scoop part of the shroud. The car just sat way to low to the ground. I ran 97.1mph in the 1/8th with that intercooler and only 118.6 in the quarter. Most cars that run 97 in the 1/8th will run in the low/mid 120's in the quarter. I think I was heat soaking my IC before I hit the end of the track. I switched to a liquid IC set up this year. This IC core was supposed to be from Bill Sikes 9 sec TTA that had a stage 2 motor in it. I think if I had a nice clean TTA that I didnt really want to alter too much I would go with the mease 13 row stretch. Before you get to heavy into picking a new IC you may want to post your combo. There may be a few different upgrades you should consider before dumping $$'s into an intercooler.

Have you ever ran an upgraded IC on a turbo buick powered car Razor? Ive owned three TB powered cars and have spent good $$'s on parts that didnt do squat. When you bolt on a good IC you wont feel like you've waisted your money.

Jason

Postal, not that i'm not into upgrading the IC, the fact remains our cars suck for IC air circulation. If you run a bigger IC then you have to run a bigger shroud. The bigger shroud is where we run into problems becuase of space. The front mounts that Dequick was making was a novel idea, only problem was getting air into it. And if I had a GN it would be a different story.

Maybe i'm biased since I know someone who has taken the stock TTA IC 132 mph in the 1/4. I dunno..for drag racing, if you let the car cool down long enough, the amount of heat soak is minimal.

If the breathing on the motor is opened up whereas you do heads, intake, TB, and cam..thus opening that bottleneck, I bet that stock IC would have an easier time doing its job at a lesser boost level. The lower the boost level the less heat is generated by the turbo and the less heat the IC has to pull out of the air.

Hows that?

Making the motor more free flowing has to be the way to go. A free flowing motor that can make the same HP but do it at a much lower boost level is going to be fast any time any where. My car is like Jekyl and hyde. Pump gas, goodyears, no ice, low boost ect Then I go to 118 octane, ice down the IC crank the boost up and launch hard on slicks. Like two totally different cars.

Excellent point about cooling air for the IC. Cooling air flow across an IC core seams to be over looked by alot of people. If you look at charts where they graph IC efficiency they will show different lines for different cooling air flow rates across the core. I had some guy tell me I was bascically stupid for buying a liquid set up. He was saying his Tony Dequick front mount was going to be 97% efficent. I told him no way in hell by the time you stack a IC, A/C condensor, and a radiator that your going to get enough cooling air across the core to get 97% efficiency. Plus when they test these things there isnt no damn hot radiator right behind it.

A stock IC has more potential than prob most people think. That dude that ran the stage 2 pro stock back in the 80's was running in the 7's with a pair of stockers that where converted to liquids. That tells me a stock IC, as long as you can keep the core of it cool enough, will flow enough and cool enough to build alot more power than most people would think. I wonder what a stocker would do with 3" front mount style necks, better scoop, shroud, and maybe even better placement.

Just some thoughts: Jason

One final.. once the air is opened up..then the octane requirement of the motor has changed for a particular boost level..since now your able to make that extra hundred ponies at 10 lbs less boost..so 16 PSI isnt 16 PSI..and the octane requirements for 16 PSI with an openedup motor..your in race gas land all the time. So careful what ya wish for...

My buddy Bob ran 11.90 @ 114 on 16 PSI with a stock turbo..18 degree chip... on a TTA... talk bout heads and cam.. and no that car could not handle 16 PSI on pump gas.

The ideal motor would make 1000 HP on zero boost :)..if you could get it to breathe like that :)..and dont think zero boost means 93 octane

Originally posted by Razor
One final.. once the air is opened up..then the octane requirement of the motor has changed for a particular boost level..since now your able to make that extra hundred ponies at 10 lbs less boost..so 16 PSI isnt 16 PSI..and the octane requirements for 16 PSI with an openedup motor..your in race gas land all the time. So careful what ya wish for...

My buddy Bob ran 11.90 @ 114 on 16 PSI with a stock turbo..18 degree chip... on a TTA... talk bout heads and cam.. and no that car could not handle 16 PSI on pump gas.

The ideal motor would make 1000 HP on zero boost :)..if you could get it to breathe like that :)..and dont think zero boost means 93 octane

This is a very good point! Really makes one think.