opps striped a lug nut

eddiedellz

Gringo
=/ went to pull the wheel to change the front brakes today and i striped a lug nut spent a hour tryen to get it off

Cut it off if all else fails. If you ruin the stud, replace it. :)

try the locklut removers...sold at any parts store, mainly used when you get custum lock nuts, basicaly they are super grippy rubber compound that you would just put on an impact wrench or regular socket

i was thinking about cutting it off but i dont see how i can get anything int ehre does anyone have a idea oh .. gnx style rims and the part number for the stud .. for 12" uppgraded brakes :X
this nut is destroyed all the things i tryed to get it off :(

same thing happend to my friends firebird, all you can do which is what we did is take a chizzle and a hammer and wack that thing off, go at an angle and you might get lucky enough to creat a groove so that the nut will turn clockwise as you hit it, just make sure your hitting it towards clockwise

locknut removers are great if youve got one. ive always managed to get by using a lowcost airchisel (under 20 bucks ) and hit edge of nut couterclockwise to break free locklugs and striped lugs , are those gnx style rims like the rinkins that the lugs are in a recess hole or GM GTA's , you didnt mention if they were oe GM capped nuts , one thing i encounter alot with the oe 19 mm capped lugs is the steel cap comes off sometimes or the cap strips , pull off the cap and grab an 18mm socket or pull a cap off another lug and jam it on and try again with 19mm

I believe lock nut removers are like 10 bucks for two of them, and yes and pacecarta was right, i meant to say counter clockwise, righty tighty leftyloosey...my b

if all else fails you could always drill the stud out so you dont mess up your rim with a chisle and hammer.