opinons wanted!!

regal-nut

Ok this it!! I had a 307 olds in the car factory. I have a (68 350 olds rocket) (gold block) a (383 stroker chevy) and a (350 chevy.) I cant find a 350 buick like i would like to have. Here is the ? what do you all think i should go with out of the 3 that i listed?

Ok this it!! I had a 307 olds in the car factory. I have a (68 350 olds rocket) (gold block) a (383 stroker chevy) and a (350 chevy.) I cant find a 350 buick like i would like to have. Here is the ? what do you all think i should go with out of the 3 that i listed?

You're just not looking hard enough for the Buick.... I posted for one on the V8 site and had 4 offers in a day.

But if you seriously can't find one, then it'd depend on what your end goal is.

For performance, I'd go with the chevy... easy to hop up further down the line.

For ease of installation... the Olds will be pretty much a drop in.

The chevys will require rewiring, moving the engine mount plates, maybe even different transmissions (bellhousings are different if you don't have the 200R4).

The I don't remember if the Buick would drop in.... I know I put an olds 350 in where a V6 was without any hassle on the mount plates... so I'm suspecting that it'll be a drop in over your 307. And the Buick 350 I have now dropped in right where the V6 sat. So you may be in luck.

Good luck.

still try to have some fuel economy but have some horse to. that is what the goals are. Want to use the car for show and play but no winter driving.

you have got to be a little more specific than that. what kind of rwhp#S ARE YOU SHOOTING FOR? IS A TURBO PART OF THE EQUATION?

No i dont think turbo will be part of it but i havent ruled it out yet im thinking on the lines of 350 horse to 400. something that i can mess with the kids with i Hate the rice burners. Got to show the kids what detroit iron is all about i got a 200r4 to rebuild to go in it a 350 turbo with b&m shift kit and an olds 350 trans that i can use. thats why im asking for the opinions:biggrin:

383. The Chevy engine is tried and true, fits like a glove, there's a wealth of parts for it. Plus in a n/a engine cubes can be your friend, especially in a somewhat heavy car.

well it sounds like i will end up with building the 383. The guys at work say the 383 and with what replys i have gotten (thanks to the ones that did reply) i will wind up going that way. So off to the drawing board to look for parts.:biggrin: I would still like to here from more of you, so you all will still have plenty of time to voice your opinions:) I will start the building this winter and keep you all posted.

There's a guy just north of me, that just listed a 70 Buick 350 with some mods for sale. and a TH350 trans with a street build.

$500

In FL though.

Figured I'd throw that out there... for some reason, chevy's don't sit well with me:p

Good luck.

well i did a little reserch on olds moters. they lack the horse but got lots of tourqe i dont think that i like the weight too them da-n things are heavy. so im not going with the olds. speak your minds dont be bashfull:biggrin:

Olds Rallye 350

If I had to pick I would go with the 1970 Rallye 350 Oldsmobile 310 hp and almost 400 lbs of torque. It was an overlooked engine . Most would get the Big block 455 maybe 65 hp more and 30more lbs of torque. Rallye 350 Ran like a lil' over a 10th slower then it's big brother the 442 W30. That lil engine was nice..Have always liked the odd ball step brothers of the
GM Family Buick and Oldsmobile and Pontiac Torq-monsters.

well with some help from a friend and a little arm twisting i am now looking at the 350 olds. so here i go!!!

Attachments

• 0810081740.jpg
    0810081740.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 0810081902.jpg
    0810081902.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 0812081758.jpg
    0812081758.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 149
for some reason, chevy's don't sit well with me:p

Why not? the gen 1 Chevy engine is one of the best out there, parts are easy to find, the 350's are the cheapest to build with the most bang for the buck. But to each his own i guess.

I agree a stock SBC block will hold quite a bit of power for minimum investement.You should be OK for your plans tho. Nevertheless this will be interesting.

some of the reason that i am going olds is that the car is set for it and that i will not have to change the air conditiong or wireing. `and elderbrock caries a nice cam cit for the the olds to build 397 horse and keep stock pistons. witch are the high compression.

Good choice. The Olds engine wil perform well, last a long time and be the easiest swap.