Opinions on Lawn mowers

ponch

Well I'm getting ready to purchase a self-propelled lawn mower and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which type. I think I have narrowed it down to Husqvarna, Honda, or Toro. I am trying to keep the price between 360-460. Here are choices so far. Let me know what you think

Honda

TORO

Husqvarna

If you have any other mowers that you would recommend please let me know.

Thanks

Hondas & mowers with Honda engines are at the top of the list for reliability per independent testing. ( CONSUMER REPORTS )

Home Depot has a wonderful self-propelled, rear-wheel drive, key-start Toro right now that we just bought as a 2nd walk-behind lawn mower. It's got a lot of slick features on it that make mowing a bit more enjoyable!

HTH :)

TORO! I still use the same Toro my Grandpa bought 20 years ago. Rear bag, self propelled. I even have mine that I bought 3 years later in the basement. Both look and run like new.:D

My favorite mower is one that I can park my AZZ on & drive around. :D

I would say the toro because of dealer network or the honda because if anything Honda is reliable.

Stay away from Craftsman.. Not too impressed with the latest one. (RWD, 6.5hp) The mower it replaced was a 15 year old Sears mower w/a 19" aluminum deck. It was a push mower but light.

The beefs i have are the drive mechanism is stuck @ one speed. Taught my son to mow the lawn a month ago, and the only speed that works if Mr Rabbit. :D He learned to walk fast.

There's also a vibration. I thought I may have bent the blade, got another one, still there. I can't find the receipt :(, I'm about to see if I can warranty it.

If I had to do it again? Honda, as much as I hate to say it. :)

My lawn mower is an Eric, I've had him for several years. He shows up every Tuesday, cuts, trims,mulches and sweeps. Never any trouble out of him, dont even have to fill him up!! Even on the hottest days in the middle of the summer, mowing the lawn is a dream!!!!:D :D :D
Bill

:) :) I vote for the Toro p pace. I've had mine for 3 years and like it alot. Mulch thru out the year,but use bag to pick up leaves in the fall. The gears went out for the p pace but was covered under the warranty. Great warranty and performance. 5 years of hassle free problems.

Originally posted by EightSecV6
My lawn mower is an Eric, I've had him for several years. He shows up every Tuesday, cuts, trims,mulches and sweeps. Never any trouble out of him, dont even have to fill him up!! Even on the hottest days in the middle of the summer, mowing the lawn is a dream!!!!:D :D :D
Bill

I hate you.......

:D

what ever you do only run your lawn mower on race gas, they love it. :) or if your really crazy toulene works better!

Bought a Troy Bilt front wheel drive from Lowes this spring. Use it in mulch mode and it works great for my half acre lot. So far no problems, first pull start all the time. $349 and can also be used as a side discharge or rear bagger. I like the big rear wheel/little front wheel look too.:D

I guess no one has a husqvarna? Sounds like a quality mower but not much info out there to go on, maybe I should stick with the more common models.

I've had Snapper's for years and had no problems, I'd say one of the best way's to pick one is to look what the lawn guy's have.

I'm with Bill now....I've got a Ryan, a little tempermental but watching my pit bull Emily play with yard tools makes it all worth while.
I have found that the attachment end for the blowers are expensive, but you can't put a price on Emily's fun....

:cool:

Originally posted by Two Lane
Hondas & mowers with Honda engines are at the top of the list for reliability per independent testing.

i have to disagree there, we had a honda, and it lasted for about 15 years, when if finally bit the dust, my dad figured that since our last honda lasted so long another honda will last just as long. nope, 3 years later and its coming to its end.

my neighbor is having the same problems with his honda, its on its last leg after 5 years.

just my 2 cents

-Neil

For push mowers, $99 Murray from Wal-Mart. Briggs motor and all ... Use it for 5-7 yrs then go by a new one...

:)

I agree. Cheap mowers are fine for 7 years .. buy a new one.. You can get 30 years worth of cheap mowers for ONE Honda. My Craftsman runs like a top for 8 years now..

I'm 37 yrs old...a home owner since 1990...and have only purchased one lawnmower. It's a Honda. I bought the cheapest one they had that still had the 5hp OHV engine.

I took it out this spring after sitting all winter long....a little fresh gas and it started on the first pull.

I use the word "pull", but here's the real fun with the Honda mower. See how slowly you can pull the cord and still have the engine fire....you would be amazed.

I'm not sure what the new Honda mowers are like, but I've got a good one.

John