Opinions on Camshaft

OneFastT

I would like to get some opinion's on the camshaft I have installed in my new Stage 2 motor. The cam I have is a PTE 230/230 Roller with 590 lift. Below is the rest of my combination. What do you think....to big, to small or just right?

Stage 2 274" Off Center
Fully Ported Stage 2 Aluminum Heads
Modified Stage 2 Intake
PTE 88 Turbo
PTE Front Mount IC
PTE 90mm Throttly Body
PTE Plenum
83# injectors

My car is mainly a track driven car with very limited street use. I plan to install a Felpro system shortly after I get the car running. My goals are mid 9's with out the Felpro and low 9's with Felpro.

Thanks,

Jason

Wow, you're in North Olmsted. The best Buick reference you could ever ask for is over the hill on Fitch road, with RED hair.

Aside from that, you're looking pretty good. If the...um, RED factor (or someone else) sets you up with a stock-ECM chip, let this forum know how it works. Not too many guys out there are trying a Stage 2 setup with a stock ECM, but I will be next year.

Good luck.

Hey let us all know how it run's after you put in new pistons and a proper fuel managment. You are asking for a meltdown if you go with the stock ECU , unless you are one of those poeple that
want to say I DID IT! At any expense even if it is your own.
Not trying to be harsh just realistic, I have built many 8 and 9
sec GN's and would not even consider doing one without a good managment system.:eek:

Originally posted by tiredaylite@330
Hey let us all know how it run's after you put in new pistons and a proper fuel managment. You are asking for a meltdown if you go with the stock ECU , unless you are one of those poeple that
want to say I DID IT! At any expense even if it is your own.
Not trying to be harsh just realistic, I have built many 8 and 9
sec GN's and would not even consider doing one without a good managment system.:eek:

...and from tiredaylite's profile: "I am a 23 year vet of NHRA drag racing . If you own a turbo regal you Know who I am or you don't follow racing."

Okay... so he's got the ego thing covered. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, there's a few 9-second stock ecm cars around.

1. That cam is mild for a race prepped stage 2 head. Maybe that will help you with street driving. I have worked on a street car with a 270 @.50 cam. (Duttweiler motor) it went 9.17 @149 at
24 psi
2. Those injectors are small if you plan on running alot of boost.
Even with a motec we were over 100% Duty cycle @ 145 mph in
a 3200 lbs car.
If you have not used them yet pick up a set of 160s or 96s
3. Please dont run the stock computer =)

I run the stock ECM no big deal. I have ran that 10.25 with my Max Effort & 83s and with some traction this year I plan on a "9". If we are talking about melt downs, I have seen several running the Fast/Fel Pro system. It is a great system and I know its better in many ways.
However, I am yet to blow a head gasket. I still listen to that old knock sensor along with the EGTs and a heated 02. Not to say I will not blow someday.

The biggest advantage to me would be not having to run a MAF.
Care has to be taken with what ever system you choose. There are other options that will maybe available later this year.