Opinions on Break in

87T-Type

New motor, was a remanufactured long block. They do a compression check and run it for a bit, my question is how many miles before i start to beat on it? I have conventional dino oil in it for the break in period and only have 32 miles on it right now. Just really itching to let loose on it, just dont want to break anything now that its on the road again. I was going to wait untill I hit the 500 mile mark, but any other opinions are appreciated!
:cool:

Is it a flat tappet or roller cam? Have you checked the oil for any metal? I would recommend changing the oil, take it on a few soft pulls to check your tune and change/check oil again. Cut open the oil filter and inspect. If after a couple of oil changes you feel the motor and the tune are good to go, i say beat away and enjoy it.

How long to beat on it??
Instantly after cam is broken in. Rings like boost to seat altho it may take about 30 mins at max. My engine builder likes boost but NO Detonation right out of the gate!
If it breaks now it will break later so drive it like you stole it!

PS: Never just cruise down the hiway for 100 miles! Lots of short fast pulls but again NO Detonation. Just lite boost.

Awesome!
It is a stock motor with a flat tappet cam.
Going to change the oil this weekend and check out the filter!

Thanks guys!

If oil & filter are good Have Fun!! Seems thats what we did with New Cars back then & still do today! ;)