Opinions about short throw lifters.

CS99

Putting in new lifters and cam due to timing chain break. I have Weber stroker 109 block with Champion aluminum heads. I am looking for suggestions. I had a 224 weber cam with weber lifters. If there is anything better I should use this time.

Contact Bison for short travel lifters. They will handle the higher rpm/spring pressures.

CS, did ya learn the reason for the timing chain failure?

I guess the 885 lifters are also known as short throw.

I recall there was something different about these lifters - I think the preload is much less???
I got them when the other style of roller lifter was having problems with grit in the lifter body - like 15 years ago.

All these years later and they were still working fine and not making any sewing machine like noise.

It appeared as though not enough rod clearence. Some say it happened after chain broke. I'm not sure.
03cd4cd2c022188614711ad1286c35c6.jpg
580adc5e0419eb391cfa969799500228.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

He says it was hitting before the chain broke, so webber sent it out like that. I find that hard to believe.

Engine builder told me it didnt look like enough clearence. Then when I posted my issues with webber on fb, I come to find out others have had chain that broke from webber build. Maybe he had a bad batch of chains.

I had a similar experience however it was the keyway that broke, bent valves and thank GOD I HAD CUSTOM DIAMOND PISTONS. The pistons had valve cut relief so no piston damage, this happened on a low 9 sec past just before the et line.

Engine builder told me it didnt look like enough clearence. Then when I posted my issues with webber on fb, I come to find out others have had chain that broke from webber build. Maybe he had a bad batch of chains.

That is so unfortunate that a chain can just let go.
However I'm not sure I followed the whole event. If the rods were hitting under running condition there would be massive amounts of metal chips in the oil. Gray powder and etc. At the oil changes oil looked fine?

That is so unfortunate that a chain can just let go.
However I'm not sure I followed the whole event. If the rods were hitting under running condition there would be massive amounts of metal chips in the oil. Gray powder and etc. At the oil changes oil looked fine?
Im sure it was hitting. From day 1 on this build, my knock detector would randomly go off. Could never pinpoint the problem.