Opinions about my problem

tomard

80 Vette with a 4BQ
Please don't call me a dumb****, as I know I am not an expert on this tranny yet, but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

I have two issues going on, may or may not be related, I rebuilt a 4BQ core that appeared stock in every way, ie D5 converter, all the checkballs in stock places, stock servo etc:

After rebuild and installed, new steels, red alto clutches, wide band, super servo, master rebuild kit, new front planetary, 13 vane pump and hardened shaft .... probably something I forgot to mention, but that is pretty close ...

A) No first gear (rebuilt a 4BQ core). Gets going in 2nd and up but sure takes some time to get her going (she is back up on jackstands as I wanted to check TV setup with pan off).

B) A leak from around my pump, I am going to drop her again to check it out, but wondered if maybe I am losing fluid pressure through pump leak???

Don't yet have pressure gauge ..... but I think I see one in my future .....

line pressure at minimum may be too high but usually only is a problem hot and after a long cruise. It shouldnt be over 90 psi at minimum tv. Maybe the band clearance is so tight that it cant release. Maybe exhaust hole is blocked?? Possible pressure reg is not properly installed. Verify leak is coming from arond the pump. It could be from the front seal.

Bison, anything to check BEFORE I start tearing it out? Band clearance maybe, as I did put in the TRANSGO reprogramming kit that put a couple of gold washers on either side of piston ..... that would tighten it up, I beleive???

Should I get the pressure gauge kit from BTO, or what would you recommend?

Bison, anything to check BEFORE I start tearing it out? Band clearance maybe, as I did put in the TRANSGO reprogramming kit that put a couple of gold washers on either side of piston ..... that would tighten it up, I beleive???

Should I get the pressure gauge kit from BTO, or what would you recommend?
If the driveshaft turns in neutral it should not get 2nd starts from an overtight band clearance.

I don't think it is turning shaft in N .... but will verify tomorrow .....

Ebrake is definetely not on ..... you think I should remove the washers from servo pin, or drive it a while and wear down band a little???

Ebrake is definetely not on ..... you think I should remove the washers from servo pin, or drive it a while and wear down band a little???
Remove the washers. It wont wear down.Chances are the band/drum are already shot if i went into 3rd and 4th since the band is not supposed to hold in 3rd/4th.

Alright, I will try to get to removing the washers tomorrow .... also had another thought .....

the TRANSGO reprogramming kit instructions said to LEAVE OUT the large spring when installing the servo .... but I put it back in, after getting some advice from forum members .... could that spring be contributing to my problems???? :confused:

I am going to try to get some info from Transgo tomorrow (they only have telephone support) ....

EDIT: It wasn't the transgo kit that said to leave out the spring, it was the SUPERIOR Super Servo instructions!!!!

Bison - do you really think I ruined the band, as I only drove it about 1/2 mile, very mildly around the neighborhood ......

If you are compressing the spring with that setup it will be putting pressure on the band. So that could be a problem.
Did you have a hard time getting the snapring on the cover?

Update

Went out, lowered the tranny enough to get to servo, removed the two washers AND left the 3rd accum spring for now ..... want to try it and see if there is any change with those out, but since I don't have exhaust on, it would really pizz off the neighbors (next door and 5 streets away :tongue: )

When I forget the pipes are off and start it up, it makes ME jump :redface:

Went out, lowered the tranny enough to get to servo, removed the two washers AND left the 3rd accum spring for now ..... want to try it and see if there is any change with those out, but since I don't have exhaust on, it would really pizz off the neighbors (next door and 5 streets away :tongue: )

When I forget the pipes are off and start it up, it makes ME jump :redface:

My neighbors are dicks so i dont care:tongue:

My whole neighborhood is like that ..... but I try to be nice anyway :biggrin: