operating temp on series 2

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
just purchased a 98 park ave ultra and i was just curious on operating temp. went as high as 208. now i know newer cars thats ok my gn thats not good so what gives here? thx anything else i need to kn tips tricks?

208 seems high unless you are already 100+ where you live. Those cars run factory dexcool also known as dexsludge. Take off your radiator cap and check out the bottom, does it look like it is smeared with mud? If so you need to do some thorough flushing and go to green even if there is not sludge. As long as you are not below freezing you can flush by filling with distiller water and changing every few days until the water is clear coming out. Also seen someone put ALL laundry detergent in a GN radiator to get the sludge out, it seemed to work too. Did you make sure your fans are coming on?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thx I just drive csr home. Ill check to see if fans are comming on. It was low on antifreeze. Im hoping its not intake gssket which I know is a problem.oil.looked clean though..

Stock is a 195* t-stat.

Considering the age...

Radiator or AC condensor in front pretty nasty/dirty killing air flow?

If Dexcool, just drain all that, garden hose it all out as much as possible and put the green stuff in. Most new green stuff is dexcool compatible. So don't have to worry if you have a little dexcool left in there. Not gonna destroy the whole thing.

Check fans are both spinning.

Hows the heat? Back flush the heater core while in there.

Replace TStat with a new one while in there also. Pick up a 180*.

Check for elbow and intake leaks and replace as needed. If intake manifold
gaskets still the old crappy plastic ones, buy the newer aluminum ones and swap
em out. Not all that bad.

I myself had two issues. Heater core clogged in my 98 GP and a fan was dead.
Back flushed the core nice and clean, and replace fan and all was good. Knew I had something
going on as even in cold weather at idle the temps would start to rise and heater temp output would drop.

Also I havent been an Ultra, is the ECT temp a digital read out? Or going off gauge, as the analog gauges
are always way off.

Ok.great 195 stat and 208 is not bad. Just have to find mystery leak. Heat is how its been in.ally gm.cars unbearbly hot lol.. what temp.fan.susposed to.kick.on?

Ok.great 195 stat and 208 is not bad. Just have to find mystery leak. Heat is how its been in.ally gm.cars unbearbly hot lol.. what temp.fan.susposed to.kick.on?

I dont have the ultra .bin file in front of me to view.. but to give you an idea, on the GP's
fan one kicks on at 96*C (204*F)
fan two kicks on at 106*C (222*F)

I forgot how high the stock table values are..

thermostat may be 195 but the fan turn on is over 200 on those cars
if you run a lower thermostat you will need to find a way to turn the fans on sooner or just wire one to be on contiinuously

Plenty of videos on youtube on coolant leaks... Elbow, intake manifold gasket, and water pump gasket.. all pretty easy, just messy is all like on any other car really.

ClubGP.com still holds a wealth of info if search around.. search function sucks and gotta be crafty with it sometimes.
3800pro.com still up and has some good info here and there.

Plenty of 3800 related facebook groups too.

PCM tuning, probably can find a local guy to you possibly to hook you up on some pcm tweaks.. heck, if mailed me the PCM with a return label,
I'd adjust it for you to kick fans on earlier and junk with the lower tstat.. only take a few minutes to do.

Thx for info guys..was worried bout temp.mostly. will check.to.see if fan runs.I have to draw up a gameplan bc if not itll be another gn money pit. Lol. I kno.zzperformance and the go.to 3800 guys. Like I.daid I want to get the lay of the land and just drive it. My gn.will have the power but boy ohh boy it will never have this ride..

Stock 98 Park Avenue Ultra PCM tune settings for the radiator fan (and hot lamp) outputs are as follows:

Fan 1 on at 100 deg C and off at 98 deg C.
Fan 2 on at 108 deg C and off at 106 deg C.
Hot (overheat) Warning Lamp on at 124 deg C and off at 121 deg C.

208 deg F coolant temp sounds normal considering Fan 1 doesn't even turn on until 212 deg F.