open exhaust ?'s

dnovot1

Not quite sure where to post this but anyways. My 87 gn is registered in IL. , which means i no longer have to deal with emmisions. I was curious if there was any down side to completely getting rid of my exhaust. Just running a test or dump pipe i'm not to sure which is which. I am basically thinking of doing away with everything including the cat. converter any ideas, downsides?

Only downside I can think of is trouble with the cops. We're exempt from testing for emissions but a cop could still give you a hard time for it, both from an emissions standpoint and for noise. We aren't required to test anymore but that doesn't mean our cars don't have to be street legal.

I drive around with an open dump pipe all the time. Only trouble so far is a cop that followed me into a Circuit City parking lot and was still circling around when I came out 20 minutes later.

No real downside from a performance standpoint. On a turbo car, more exhaust flow is always good.

Exhaust ?

If you want to stay legit looking. Take your cat off and gut it then put the cat back on. Unless your car is way loud (no mufflers)which would cause a cop to do a visual. Cops usually ain't out there upholding emmission laws. I've run a gutted cat for years :cool: on my other GN. Now I run a single muffler with a turndown right off the down pipe. When I need to pass emmissions every 2 years a cat goes on then the same muffler. Soon as she passes the cat goes and plays for 2years.;) can't have that Gato hurting my lil mouse Speedy! Comprende?

A test pipe is a straight thru pipe and a cut out is the pic below. As far as driving on the street. I would run a cut out with a single exhaust "lighter" same size pipping as the downpipe. I have noticed almost 2 tenths with the cut out open in the 1/8 mile.
IMG_0140.jpg

In my state, as long as I have a cat, I need no mufflers, since a turbo acts as a muffler.

Im running a 3" gutted cat w/ an exhaust pipe going through it(thanks Grumpy:biggrin: ) I am not using any exhaust after that b/c I cant afford it!! I have driven past quite a few cops, I just let off the gas pedal. My 98 Formula has an off road y-pipe on it and havent got stopped, yet!!

And even *IF* the cops can't ding you for removing the cat, they can clobber you to exhaust noise. The noise thing has been going on for decades.

I took my exhaust off while i was waiting for the replacement to come in.. I got stopped and ticketed for a $500.00 dollar fine. I had no cat on the car which made it so illegal.... The law doesn't play around!