One of our members and a good friend to many of us passed away Sunday

WIKEDV6

He goes by the name of Alkyholic and the nephew of member Postal here.

I don’t have many details other than he was driving on I-55 through Grundy county (IL) when the cars rear right tire blew out, the car rolled and he was thrown out of the vehicle and killed. He was only 22 yrs old. The car had Bowling Green Customs recapped sticky tires .

He was always helping others and he has helped me numerous times. He was on his way back to his place from picking up a buddy’s Buick so that he can help him recharge his AC.
He will be sorely missed by all of us especially by Postal . He will always be remembered in our thoughts.

Prasad

That's terrible!!!!!!

My prayers are with his family through this difficult time in there life.

God Bless.

Sounds like he was a great guy!

His family and friends have my sincerest condolences.

He will surely be missed...great guy and great family. Always willing to help.

Joe

Man, that is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. :(

He was a good guy with a big heart. My condolensces and prayers go out to Postal and his family and anything I can do to help out, please just give me a call.

Anish

Andy was a very good person and a dedicated friend. We are definatly going to miss u lil buddy.

surej

The sadness that I feel about Andy passing is incredible. I wasn't one of his best friends but I spent enough time around him that I did care very much for him and considered him a good friend. It goes without saying how good of a kid he was. He gave me my fare share of sh!t but always cautious about saying unkind words, even in jest. I think that was just the way he's wired. He would do anything to please people, even taking the car to fix the A/C, he was talking about that the day we looked at the car. He helped me work on the Metro when we were at Nats if it was nothing more than grabbing a wrench for me. I've got a good picture somewhere of him trying to get into his GN with the keys locked in the trunk. He tore up his interior to hurry up so we could get to Toots that night. He was worried not about his car but about the people he was taking there, he didn't want to let them be late.

His whole life was ahead of him and he had it wired pretty tight for a kid his age. Recently completed a difficult training program for Caterpillar (on a scholarship I believe) to work on their equipment at the proving grounds. No small feat, only a few are asked to participate. He just started making good coin and was really on track to an excellent career. He's a big kid with a kind heart. He'd stand up for anyone he cared about too. I know I was willing to let him stand in front of me in case I got too far out of line !!

What most people won't realize is how significant the relationship between Jason and Andy was. J talks like they were more like brothers but I'd say that Jason treated that kid like his own. You have no idea how much Jason did for Andy and that young man loved and respected his uncle much more than the simple word uncle can ever capture. I could list several things that Jason did for Andy that I knew of. I know there's many more that have nothing to do with cars. Jason, my admiration for you is most visible when I'm all liquored up but you know it's true all the time. You're a good man and I love you my brother.

And to Jill, if you happen to read this. You raised a young man that I'd be proud to call my own. He tread his own path and with struggles along the way, he became a man that he, and anyone, would be proud to be. All the things I said down there in KY, I'll remember when Andy commented to the rudeness going on that that was his mom. He said it with a compassion that made me shut my yapper. (If not permanently, at least temporarily). It's easy to forget that you are his mom and as a dad myself, I cry with you. I can't imagine the pain that you are feeling but I want you to know that I am always there if you need anything in this time of tragedy.

In my best and most formal Sunday School Teacher's voice:

May God pour out his grace on our brother Andy and lift his spirit up high to you. Lord Jesus Christ, you are the master healer, please send down your angels to comfort those of us burdened with the sorrow of this tragic loss. Make the hearts light of those with sadness and let us rejoice in the memories of your child, Andy.

Much love,

Roger

Andy was my nephew, but all our family and friends knew he was more like my nephew, little brother, close friend, and pupil all rolled into one. I'm going to miss him very much for all the roles he played in my life. My sister Jill (Andy's mother) has told me she wants me to have his GN. I'm the one who helped him purchase the car 3 years ago and was the co signer on the loan. He was always so proud of his car and for once in his life HE had some thing that other people where envious of. That meant alot to him after being on the other end of the scale for all his life.
Going to bolwing green was always one of the highlights of Andy's year. He loved taking his car there and being able to say that he took his car to the Buick Nationals and raced it there. Now that he's gone it will fall upon me to finish what we started 3 years ago. I wont be able to afford to set the car up completely the way he wanted it, but I'll do my best to get it back out and running hard. Anybody who knew him knows that's what he would want me to do.

I loved Andy and I'll miss him for the rest of my life, but I will always carry his memory in my heart.

Jason

Andy was my friend and racing buddy for the last 5 years and my roomate for the last year. We first met in the pits at Cordova when I was racing my old 89 Daytona. Since I was the only guy with a FWD car, I didn't get much attention but Andy wasn't afraid to stop by and see what was under the hood. It turned out that we lived only a few miles away so we were able to keep in touch and stay friends through school. Quickly after we became friends Andy showed me the 87 GN that would soon become his own at Jason's shop.
Jason, I'm happy to hear you have ownership of the GN since I'm sure that is what he would have wanted. The car is at my place, so if you'd like to work on it over here that's fine, I'm always willing to help and provide space. Send me an email and we'll complete Andy's dream.
I'd appreciate it if somebody could put something up for Andy on automotiveforums.com, as he was a moderator over there and had a lot of friends who would like to be updated. Also, I have some pictures and video of Andy and myself racing at Cordova that I'd like to put up somewhere. If anyone has some webspace, please send me an email.
I can't believe this has actually happened. Andy was always religious about making sure everyone in the vehicle had their seat belts on. When it comes to those recap tires, the company who makes them should issue a recall or something, as they're complete garbage. One night I was out with Andy in his GN and we noticed the car was wobbling like crazy at high speed. We got home and there was a large chunk missing from the tread on his recap tires. I'm sure Jason knows the origins of those recaps as well.
I'm sorry this had to be my first post on this message board, but I want everyone to know he will be missed by everyone who knew him, even the people who didn't get a chance to meet him in person.

Clark Krieger

I've known Andy for a few years now. I met him through Jason. Uncle and nephew aside, they truly were best of friends. Where ever Jason was, Andy was not far behind. Andy was a family man, never to miss a family gathering. Family came first for him. He was always out to have a good time, and make sure everyone around him had a good time as well. He never put anyone down, and always stuck up for those he cared for. It cannot be put into words how much he will be missed by his family, and all who have known him.

Andy was driving my car when he passed. He was out driving on a sunny Sunday afternoon. As Roger said, he had plans to help me out and work on the car before I even bought it. He thrived off of helping others out. He didn't need to help me out, he WANTED to help me out. His last act on earth was doing a favor for me. For this I will always be grateful.

It has been very difficult trying to make sense out of all of this...trying to get over the guilt of it all. However, there is one thing I find some comfort in. Andy passed away while doing one of the things he loved most, driving a Buick.

Heath

Very sorry about your lose! :(

Sounds like the buick community and the world lost a promising and caring person.

Geoff

I hope when I pass away that people have as many nice things to say about me as they do about Andy. Peace be with you.

My condolences to his family and friends. He will surely be missed by the Turbo Buick community.

While I did not know Andy very well, I enjoyed the couple times we hung out together. He was a good guy with a big heart. My condolensces and prayers go out to Jason and his family. 22 is just too young to go!

I just lost my best friend

I got the news yesterday, my best friend and fellow board member died as a result of injuries suffered when his T Type blew a tire and rolled several times on the interstate. Andy Filson aka HYPSI87 was just a kid. 21 years old, just graduated college and working his dream job as a diesel technician for CAT. This brings a whole new realm of pain that I have never felt before. I always thought I would be prepared for something like this, but then I learned that there is no way to anticipate this kind of feeling. My advice to everyone, live today like there is no tomorrow. You never know when you won't get a chance to say goodbye.

My condolences go out to his family, Jason aka Postal, as well as all his friends.

I considered Andy as my very best friend and if I could trade places with him right now I surely would. He had the biggest heart out of anyone I have ever met. That kid spent just as much time under the hood of my car as I did. We had a lot of good times together and nothing can take that away. His laugh, attitude, and smile will be burned in my memory forever. He always called me "little fella" because he had the bigger turbo, but he was the first one to try to get my car faster.

Jason, I can't even begin imagine what you are going through, but I feel your pain, because I have it too. Let me know if there is anything I can do, no matter how miniscule it might seem.

Sorry to hear.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Andy and his family so sad to hear of the loss.

Steve Pitts