???? On Pumps For Diy Alchy

PaulRV6

Looking for more recommendations on putting together a system for the GN. Is it better to use an in-line pump such as the ford
f-150 efi pump that I read about or use the Shurflo 8000 series?

I also see the Shurflo has a 40-60 psi and an 80-100 psi pump, is the higher pressure a better choice or isn't it needed.

Sorry for all the ??? but I am really getting interested in this topic. I will be visiting the various sites regading alchy injection when I have more time to spend taling it all in, but for now... Thanks

paul

From what I was told by the East coast Shurflo tech, all the 8000 series pumps are capable of 100psi. As I said in a previous post, mine was factory set to 40-60 but a turn or so on the adj screw raised it to 60-80. I could have gone higher but saw no reason to. Also my solenoid valves are rated for 100psi and I wanted to leave a safety margin.

So are these the pumps of choice by all the DIY'ers instead of the in-line fuel pump considered in some of the other website recommendations?

Are you saying that the higher press is not needed for proper spray? I was reading in another place that the higher the pressure like 100 psi is necessary. Is this dependent on the type of nozzles used?

Thanks for your input on this.

paul

I believe Steve Y. when he tells me that atomization is key. Others may say differently.

The sure-flow seems to be the pump of choice, and some people are even running methanol with no ill effects. (IMO, stick with de-natured :))

From personal experience the best improvement was going 2 stage. With the single stage I was drowning the plugs in trying to get high boost levels.

I'm running a shurflo and bypassing the pressure switch. I'm sure pressure exceeds 100 psi. I'm thinking the pump will live just fine without the pressure switch do to the low cycle.
Later
Steve

The main reason an F150 pump would be used instead of a ShurFlo would be cost. Shurflo will almost always live longer and perform better.

sstock- Bypass the pressure switch? Do you have a return line, or does the pump just wind until it cant push against the pressure?

RR- Where is the adjustment screw?

GG

Originally posted by salvageV6
FloJet not Shurflo. Talked to Mr. Maxeffort last night. ;)

Great to know! :)

There are too many Steves on this forum. I was thinking of 'Mr. alchy injection' Steve Young' as far as atomization.

If yaklin is running a flojet that's great 'cause that's all meth...

I believe Redshot air runs the same with a shurflow. Not sure..

Not sure of anything NOW!! ;)

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim

There are too many Steves on this forum. I was thinking of 'Mr. alchy injection' Steve Young' as far as atomization.

Sure you dont mean Steve Hill or Steve Monroe? Check with Steve Wood:D

Don't forget SMC Steve C.

Yup way too many.

Kind of a custom made FloJet so I have to dig deeper to get the details of what he uses.

He has some contacts that build them for meth.

I just want a pump that really stands up to denatured and H2O.

Might have to run some race gas on track rental day. That would suck... ;)

I would also like to hear from sstock about this pressure switch adjustment.

Savagev6, who makes this flojet pump? Is it made more for methanol and plain overkill for just alcohol?

paul

Either the ShurFlo or Flojet will work fine with long-term denatured and water use. Can't comment on Methanol as I don't use it much.
New models I tested last year for Flojet are slightly more efficient but can't compete w/ShurFlo on the price.
When using the S8000 you should bypass the pressure shutoff switch. AS long as you don't try to run it deadheaded you should be fine.. about 11 amps. If it deadheads it'll stall and pop fuses.
The Flojet design won't stall, but ultimate pressure is a bit lower.
Some of the Flojets also use a pressure switch. Just wire around it, same as for S8000.
Atomization is a key parameter. Go for good nozzles and as much pressure as you can build. Performance is all about atomization.
Typical Flojet will deliver about an ounce/sec at ~85lbs. The S8000 is good for at least this much, once you get the switch out of the picture.
There is a custom built Flojet you can get from Carrolls Supercharging. More pressure, bullet proof, big bucks.
Bottom line, S8000=best bang for the buck.

Steve,
Hey Doood,
I bought the S8000 you recommended on your web page with the 40-60 psi switch and am upgrading to the 80-100psi switch. I also plan to run a Shurflo Accumulator to help reduce pump cycling which should keep the pump cooler as well. Will this combination work or do I need to consider adding a return/bypass path?? My DIY'er kit follows your lead using a two stage system with (4) 0.9mm nozzles. I am also looking for a 2 gallon container to mount in the trunk, I can't seem to find anything that would look decent for less than $100. Chris Fasulo probably took the most practical way out in his design and I may follow if I can't find something that looks nice at a fair price. Anyone got any ideas?????
Maynard

hey Maynard,
subsequent dyno testing on Denis's setup showed a cycling of the a/f ratio proportional to the cycling of the pressure switch.
Ergo...to get even w-a flow, the switch has to go. I was never a fan of that idea anyway but went along with it as the TOTD (Theory Of The Day) suggested the accumulator would tend to equalize things.....um, not heh heh
The accumulator, however, is still a valid system component.

As long as you allow some flow through the nozzles then there should not be a problem with the pump running continuous.

The two stage is still a very good system and the 3.8 mm total nozzle aperature should provide for at least 26lbs.
I've forgotten your injector size....?
Whatever, you'll have to sorta guesstimate at your f/a ratio, but an EGT meter will help you with this.
Use 50-50 denatured, as we have yet to find anything better for this purpose, despite what else you may read.

And, yes, I agree with you, Chris Fasulo's setup is show quality, and far far superior to my junkyard dog.....
cya this summer?

pricing

has anyone found pricing on the ShurFlo 8000 pump for less then $88?

Yeah I tap into the Shurflo Pump before the switch, basically taking the switch out of the equation.
I did not like how the pump cycled between the on and off pressures of the switch. It was very erratic and gave disproportional flow rates IMHO.
THe pump will produce over 100psi at the two stage flow rates I run. THe pump will not have any issues doing this because its cycle time is of short duration and pump heat build up is not an issue. So far fuses are not either, course if it did become an issue, one could always exclude the fuse in favor of a circuit breaker.

By the way, I'm running at least 8 degrees more timing on street gas with no detonation issues. THanks Tubo Buick.com, your tech rocks.
Later
Steve

Hey Steve Hill, thanks for the info.

Do any of the Flo-Jets work on a deadhead system?

I don't care about cost I've killed too many pumps already. ;)

Just want one good one that will last a few years. :)

TIA