Old tires and 16" vectors?

87Ltd

Hi,

It's been too long since I've driven my TurboT. Just to and from the smog shop every 2 years. A house with a lot of repairs will keep you away from the cars! Well, now that the house is done ; I'm ready to play with the Buick again this summer. I'm wondering if the tires (discontinued Dunlop D40-M2's) which are about 8-9 years old are still any good?

The car's been garaged and hooked up to a trickle charger all these years, so I thought they'd be fine since they're not exposed to the sun and look perfect with no cracks like tires get when they're old. But a friend of mine says that the tires need replacing just because they're old.

If the tires do need replacing; I notice that there aren't a lot of choices for my tire size in the back (235/60/15). Tires selection for the fronts are still ok (215/60/15). I like the look of the original vector rims and know that American Racing Equiptment makes the Vector style (AR-47) only in a 15 inch size. Does anyone know if this style is available in a 16 inch size for the back?

Sorry if the post is a bit long...

I'd probably replace them if you've literally only been taking the car to smog over the last few years. They may not look dry-rotted but if you've been leaving the full weight of the car on those tires over the years and they didn't get moved very often, I'd change them. It's really your call though.

Tires deteriorate over time, even if they are not used or driven on. The tires may appear to be in like-new condition on the outside, but inside the rubber is slowly deteriorating. This may dangerously weaken the tire and increase the risk of a blowout at high speed or during hot weather.

I don't think I've ever seen a 16" Vector style wheel but maybe someone else knows.

Tires for 235 certainly are limited, this is all I can find at Summit...
Tires - summitracing.com

Yeah, that's what my friend said about the tires possiblility of having a blowout if I go on a long trip. Not a lot of choices for good tires. I usually shop at tirerack. Thanks for the reply though.