...old newbie, 1987 Buick GN turbo,200-4R trans. question

Stan's Customs

Hello gents and others..

I know this has been discussed to death...but here goes. I just purchased a 1987 Buick GN turbo 200-4R transmission, supposedly with a new stock rebuild.
The seller is a nice guy ..straight shooter I believe, but doesn't know particulars about the rebuild since he traded for a stalled out unfinished hot rod project that included this fresh transmission.

I have read myself silly on these transmissions...just toooo much information for this oldster to retain it all. I am going to have my local transmission shop (one I have used for years) tear this trans down and check it out. However I think he doesn't do a lot of performance work "especially" on this transmission, although he has built many stock GM 200-4Rs.. I doubt that he will want to read the mountains of material available to soup one up, but can tell me if it is properly assembled in a professional manner, and will do whatever I specifically ask him to do..

The transmission is going in a 3,000lb. '61 Corvette with a new GMPP ZZ4 crate engine...

Simply put, A. B. C. Plain language, what should I tell my builder.

...what are the "minimum common sense upgrades" this ''87 Buick GN turbo 200-4R needs for improving known stock weaknesses. I just don't seem to be able to determine where to stop till I get an all out performance rebuild...which I know is more than I "really" need. (and more than I can afford anyway.)

Thanks and best regards..Stan M.

Just do a good rebuild with red clutches along with a shift kit. The only major change I would do is put a billet forward drum in it. I had a 200-4R on the back of a ZZ4 and broke 2 stock forward drums before I went billet. Haven't had a problem since. :)

Chris at CK Performance has the billet forward drum...... he is a vendor here.... and a guru of the 2004R.

There is also a sticky posted at the top of this forum about "strengthening the 2004R" that has alot of information...... and CK also has a very detailed and helpful manual that covers a rebuild on a performance 2004R.

The main thing is to get a decent core... with a good valvebody.... the GN valvebody has unique shift characteristics... and seems to be the most popular.... people call it the BRF valvebody....which coincides with the tag on the tailshaft of the tranny which will have the big letters "BRF" on it.

HTH

Chris at CK Performance has the billet forward drum...... he is a vendor here.... and a guru of the 2004R.

There is also a sticky posted at the top of this forum about "strengthening the 2004R" that has alot of information...... and CK also has a very detailed and helpful manual that covers a rebuild on a performance 2004R.

The main thing is to get a decent core... with a good valvebody.... the GN valvebody has unique shift characteristics... and seems to be the most popular.... people call it the BRF valvebody....which coincides with the tag on the tailshaft of the tranny which will have the big letters "BRF" on it.

HTH

Thanks Blazer..

You are right, the sticky has "a lot" of information...as do several of the related sites I have Googled. So much so, that I am having a very hard time what to do for my particular application. That is why I was soliciting some input from folks that have actually used one of these trans. This will be my first 200-4R...although I guess I have owned nearly everything else GM has.

I know my local transmission man will not read a book to do this for me ...sooo I'm trying to simplify it a little.

I think I have an excellent transmission ...and it does have the BRF tag on it. So that's at least that's a good start ...

I just got off the phone with an old classmate about these transmissions. He owned a transmission shop for years...but is now retired. He said he would use a lock-up converter and a Trans-Go shift kit. Other than that, we didn't get to talk much before he had another call and our brief conversation ended....However he said that he really worked on stockers mostly...as opposed performance stuff.

Anyone else...?

Thanks again...Stan

Just do a good rebuild with red clutches along with a shift kit. The only major change I would do is put a billet forward drum in it. I had a 200-4R on the back of a ZZ4 and broke 2 stock forward drums before I went billet. Haven't had a problem since. :)

Mike

I meant to ask what gear and tire you were running when you broke the forward drum with the ZZ4...and what weight car it was in.

Thanks...Stan

....one other thing if anyone knows. How many 1987 Grand National Turbo 200-R4 were built...or 1987 GN cars built, either one. They seem sorta scarce now.

Thanks...Stan..