Old GN and TTA articles that I scanned

Welby

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I never throw magazines away, lol. I was 15 when the Car & Driver came out, I graduated H.S. in '89. Funny thing is, I remember these articles like it was yesterday, that's why I decided to dig through my boxes of mags to get to this stuff. Thought I'd share a few things from when the cars were brand spankin' new :)

There's a good write-up on the GN from Car & Driver (April '86), a small GNX piece (Sept. '89 Car Craft. Late model performance 2 was the article), and a decent TTA article (Dec. '88).

If this doesn't work here, go to Turbobuicks....

Mark

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post these articles. It was a good read.

I too have a ton of magazine from the late 80's that I can't seem to just toss out. I find that every couple of years I need to go back an find something. I do have a "Muscle Car" magazine article with the '87 GN vs '70 LS6 Chevelle. Intresting comparison. 454ci vs 231ci yet the GN held it's own bone stock :)

FS

Did anyone notice that the GN has a faster 0 to 60 time then the TTA, but the TTA has a faster 1/4 mile. Is that true and if so why is that?

I talked to a TTA guy at the Buick vs Ford shootout and he explained something to me that I didn't know. The TTA has 3:23s in it and the Grand National has 3:42s. Due to the higher gear the Grand national leaves harder, but loses some in the top end. The lower gear of the TTA means it doesn't leave quite as hard, but has a slightly better top end. I asked the guy why they put the 3:23s in the TTA and he said GM wanted to make the TTA more of a highway car. Also the TTA is a lighter and more aerodynamic car which helps out. It also has engine improvements such as intercooler and heads.