Okay! What is your true and tried recipe for a high to mid 12's sec GN???

MyBoosta

More Boost = More Love!
Okay guys,

I need your help again, what is your typical speed secret/formula/recipe for making a typical GN run high to mid 12's on STREET tires (no DR's and no slicks) on PUMP 93 octane gas?

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN HIGH TO MID 12'S ON STREET TIRES AND 93 PUMP GAS!!!:

To save you some time, here is what my car had on it when I bought it:

*Stock IC with Duttwiller neck
*340 Warlboro in-tank w/hot wire
*50lbs Injectors
*New Stock turbo
*ATR cat-back system (Pitbulls mufflers)
*D5 modified to stall between 2,600 to 2,800
*Trans has been rebuilt w/big servo, billet shaft...etc (with trans cooler)
*Translator plus w/Extender chip
*3" Impala SS MAF
*boost, knock, oil press and coolant temp gauges
*160* T-stat
*Boxed upper and lower arms
*Air bags on both Sides!
*Stock actuator rod is modified
*New dual steel timing chain
*New cam sensor
*New rear main seal
*New oil pump (oil press reads 30psi at idle when engine is warm, and 60/65 psi cruising)
*Coolant read about 170* to 180* cruising or in traffic
*Stock 215/65/15 tires
*All new fluids
*Car have about 28k original miles

***I just added a "test pipe" to the stock DP
***I made a homemade CAI kit
***The boost reads about 16 to 18psi when I stab it!

I have to play with the tuning (T+/extender chip) to dial her in further, DO I HAVE enough right now to accomplish this high to mid 12sec on street rubber and 93 gas goal? Or I'm I dreaming ?:confused:

Thanks.:smile:

Okay guys,

I need your help again, what is your typical speed secret/formula/recipe for making a typical GN run high to mid 12's on STREET tires (no DR's and no slicks) on PUMP 93 octane gas?

*50lbs Injectors
*New Stock turbo
*3" Impala SS MAF
*160* T-stat
*Air bags on both Sides!
*New cam sensor
*New rear main seal
*New oil pump (oil press reads 30psi at idle when engine is warm, and 60/65 psi cruising)
*Stock 215/65/15 tires
*All new fluids

I have to play with the tuning (T+/extender chip) to dial her in further, DO I HAVE enough right now to accomplish this high to mid 12sec on street rubber and 93 gas goal? Or I'm I dreaming ?:confused:

without traction i think your dreaming!!!! i ran a 12.98 on just 93 octane and 17psi but on drag radials 1.7 60ft

Your gonna boil the tires trying to run 12's on street tread. Drag radials at least. Alky system will get you where you want to be and then some,(with a good tune). My car is damn near stock and has a 12.48 slip in it's history(chip/36# inj./open dump/sticky tires)(race fuel tho). You are probably there already, traction will be your downfall.

You NEED drag radials or sticky/wider street tires and you really should have gone with a Dump pipe instead of a test pipe for a stock type car... I would put a boost controller in there(I just ordered the RJC one, for 50$ and the results people get I had to have one).

Tires are really going to be an issue... I have probobly close to the same Hp you have and I fry my 255 yokohamas... get something stickier and wider and you might get the job done. I will let ya know, because Im trying to go to the track this weekend with my new boost controller/drag radials/ and RJC power plate and dump pipe... Im hoping for low 13s at 16lbs of boost.

So! According to most of you thus far, I can't run 12's on my street motorcycle width stock tires? :)

For me, adding and alky system or some other somewhat exotic parts is out of the question; I alreday have a high 9sec car that I can run home to if necessary. Besides, this GN is too clean and was well taken cared of by the previous owners; the last thing I need is another drag car. I just want it to be faster (high to mid 12's) on regular meat and regular gas while chillin' like nothing ever happened...now that's street sneaky.

I guess I'm asking for too much? What do you guys think of the my mods above?
If I am not mistaking, I will swear that I saw a few GN's in Chicago run high 12's and some mid 12's on STREET tires back in early to mid 90's! Was I seeing things?

C'mon; there gots to be a recipe out there!

Thanks.

The key I think to running 12s on pump gas w/o alky for a stock type car would be ported heads and maybe a larger Innercooler.
I have run 12s on the Pep Boy tires but I was running alky.

So! According to most of you thus far, I can't run 12's on my street motorcycle width stock tires? :)

For me, adding and alky system or some other somewhat exotic parts is out of the question; I alreday have a high 9sec car that I can run home to if necessary. Besides, this GN is too clean and was well taken cared of by the previous owners; the last thing I need is another drag car. I just want it to be faster (high to mid 12's) on regular meat and regular gas while chillin' like nothing ever happened...now that's street sneaky.

If I am not mistaking, I will swear that I saw a few GN's in Chicago run high 12's and some mid 12's on STREET tires back in early to mid 90's! Was I seeing things?

Thanks.

what do you mean you dont want another drag car!!! there are plenty 10 second cars that are running air cond. and still have all factory items on there you dont have to lighten up or take things off to make it fast. i htink the mickey thompson tires look nice on these cars and stock if you get a 235 60 15 inch.

I dont see a problem.

Okay guys,

*50lbs Injectors
*New Stock turbo
*3" Impala SS MAF
*160* T-stat
*Air bags on both Sides!
*New cam sensor
*New rear main seal
*Stock 215/65/15 tires
*All new fluids

Ill bet if U get a decent cool night, U should be able to go 12.90 with that car. U have a decent fuel system and u certainly have enough injector. It may take a few passes before u get the launch right on radials but I think it can be done. Hell I was able to run 20 pounds of boost on 93 octane before the snow hit here last week. So if the air is cool turn up the boost but be careful. Get a knock detector just incase and let off as soon as it goes crazy. By the way theres a few guys in Kentucky with a bone stock car except Alky and they went 11.20 with the car so far BUT they are running 30 pounds of boost:eek: . Anything is possible with these cars.

I'm far from an authority, since I've been to a strip a total of 1 time in my entire life, but the best I could do in 3 runs with what's in my sig and 265/50/15 Pep Boys tires was 13.63 @ 100.53 mph. I could tell I was spinning alot, I wasn't really getting anywhere and then the car got traction and took off on me, lol.
I have 225/60's on my stock wheels and with them, once the boost kicks in it'll just fry them until I decide to stop. This is on the street. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad on the strip, but I bet I'd have had a nice 15 second time slip or 2 to show for it. Can't imagine it on 215/65's :D

need alky/tires

this past yr @ bowling green i went a 12.24 @ 115 with 19-20 psi of boost

with a 2.07 60ft on street tires.

mods in sig.

since you still have stock heads your gonna need some killer 60fts or alky on top of the 93.

Ill bet if U get a decent cool night, U should be able to go 12.90 with that car. U have a decent fuel system and u certainly have enough injector. It may take a few passes before u get the launch right on radials but I think it can be done. Hell I was able to run 20 pounds of boost on 93 octane before the snow hit here last week. So if the air is cool turn up the boost but be careful. Get a knock detector just incase and let off as soon as it goes crazy. By the way theres a few guys in Kentucky with a bone stock car except Alky and they went 11.20 with the car so far BUT they are running 30 pounds of boost:eek: . Anything is possible with these cars.

Bre Rabibit, funny you mentioned 20psi on pump gas, cool night and the crappy arctic bals we all got. Last week after I slapped on the test pipe and my homemade CAI, I went out and to test the car after the streets dried up and it was about 26*, my car boost jumped to 20psi and the dorky knock sensor gauge I have flashed the yellow light then went into the red.

I got off of it, but man that puppy revved up so fast it felt like the back of the car was coming around the front:eek:
So, I pulled over and dialed in more timing retard and added more fuel on the T+ to be safe.

I tell what, It felt good...I liked that! Now if can only get that feeling back...not all the way back w/o too much knock (2 to 3*) and be able to run it pass 50 feet, it would be supper fun!:D

Thanks.
Whole different ballgame trying to push 3600 lbs of Buick. LC2's make ALOT of torque under boost also. You didn't mention your psi, but over 20# you are stepping out of a stock turbos range. Take a ride in a modded TR running over 20# and you'll s**t. Whole different world in that range. Alky systems are stealthy and easy to install/remove. You already listed mods, so what is the harm in a hidden controller and a tiny overflow tank? All anyone can see is a line going in the up pipe. Car will be more drivable and always be ready for action. As stated before, getting traction will be tough.

You need a taller/wider set of drag radials (275-60-15) to be able to consistently launch the car and hook. With a hard stock dimension radial you will be all over the place. If you want that thing to run real hard go with the DR's and an alky kit. Should be able to run consistent 12.00's at that point if tuned in right on 93. But without tires you will be disappointed. As an example of how bad traction is with radial tires that arent made for a drag race, i have run my old black GN at 12.00@124mph at the strip on 255-50-16 radials. 2.0 60'. The same car on the same day wen 6.70@102 in the eighth. That was on slicks with a 10 psi launch and hooking decent off the foot brake. 1.58 60'. It would have went 10.70's but had no roll bar. It is instant tire spin at full boost going under 60 mph with the hard tires even at the strip. With my latest one which i g-teched two nights ago on hard as a rock radials (same size as above) and 35 degrees ambient air i went 12.35@128mph. Please note that all my gains are in 3rd at 70+mph with the crappy tires. Anything before that boils the tires. This run was at 17psi boost on a highly modded engine. With the stock turbo and heads you will be relying on the traction to get your et's down as you wont be able to hit a big mph. This further necessitates a better tire. DR's and alky is the way to go.

Not likely w/ stock streets!

Having just come from "The Rock" this past Sat, w/ good air (mid-50's) & good track prep I came home "just short" of my goal of "in the 12's with my street daily driver. :mad:

My 3 best 1/4 runs were: 13.05-13.08 sec, 102.0-103.5 mph, w/ 1.9-2.0 60'.
These runs included 93 octane gas, 16-16.5# boost, 23-30# tire pres, 0-1.5 deg KR, closed & open dump, +10-12.5% fuel @ WOT.

Advantage I would have over you is wider 255x60x15's--but possible disadvantage is my 3.73 rear. Balance of our comparative stuff is pretty equivalent.

Hence, I rest my case--not likely in 12's w/ 93 gas & stock street tires!

recently ran quite a few low 12 (12.40s ) on 255/60-15 cooper cobra tires
at atco/ cecil and etown but car could run 12.0s on mickey stickies (drag radials 255 50-16)

if trying on stock turbo key is alky and a good chip like turbotweak

car was unopened except for usuall stuff :springs/timing chain and a replacement (although not much on performance ) edelbrock NA cam , dutt neck , stock turbo , 50s and alkycontrol alky injection

full weight 87 hardtop GN all options

21 psi and i ran nearly 110 mph

60s were 1.8 , no air bags , hr parts bar , if you have enough power tuned in and take it easy you can get the 60s down , i found leaving anything over 3100rpm sent them to smoke and forget about dropping the hammer until the car was in motion , now on the street forget about that low 12 meaning anything since traction with std radials will be nill at any speed

make it easy on yourself get some mickeythompson et street radials ( still street tires) and you will be amazed at how much power you can put down

port the heads and run bigger turbo put on the stickies and you now have a 10 second car but even with more power you will still find 12s difficult on street tires unless you take it easy

Fast?

Hi,
You guys need to check out last month's HOTROD magazine.There's an article about a sanctioning body called FAST. These people are running low 10s and up on Bias pseudo race tires, with old tech muscle cars. I think you have all the mods you need to achieve your goal, and then some! Back in the 70s, I ran a '64 Falcon to a 12.85 et at only 102 mph. Admittedly, I had a set of slicks on it, but I'll bet it would have run 13.2 without 'em. And THAT car didn't feel anywhere as fast as my '83 Regal does.I am getting old, but my butt still tells me there's a lot of power in a Buick V6. Have fun!

My 3 best 1/4 runs were: 13.05-13.08 sec, 102.0-103.5 mph, w/ 1.9-2.0 60'.
These runs included 93 octane gas, 16-16.5# boost, 23-30# tire pres, 0-1.5 deg KR, closed & open dump, +10-12.5% fuel @ WOT.

I ran a 13.5 at 103 with mods shown below (minus downpipe and powerplate) and that was with rock hard 20 year old stock tires. Horrendous 60' times and fishtailing at gear changes. So at 103MPH TurboMonte ran 1/2 sec faster with just better street tires. I realize this is far from scientific but is generally a fair comparison IMO. With DR's traction would have gotten TurboMonte into the 12's and I should of been close.