Ok Im a bone head! reversed neg/positive

Alaskabuick

Well I was not paying attention and hooked up my Battery Charger
backwards, positive to negative on high boost. Caught after a couple seconds but must of blew something.

Any advice on where to start? No spark at all.

Thanks,

Dennis

Ummm...You may have fried the harness. Did you smell burning at all. Or the battery is screwed.

Checked the fuses in fuse box, they are good.

Did not smell any burning.

Batter seems good, lots of cranking power.

Makes fuel pressure.

I noticed the water temp sensor connection on the top of the intake by the fuel pressure regulator has a broken connection, but did not think this would have any bearing on spark.

This is a new car that I just picked up.

Dennis

What makes you think you damaged anything if everything is working? The coolant sensor connection would have nothing to do with it, but you must fix it. What kind of battery charger is it? The good ones won't work if you reverse the poles.

Checked the fuses in fuse box, they are good.

Did not smell any burning.

Batter seems good, lots of cranking power.

Makes fuel pressure.

I noticed the water temp sensor connection on the top of the intake by the fuel pressure regulator has a broken connection, but did not think this would have any bearing on spark.

This is a new car that I just picked up.

Dennis

Double/triple check the fusebox.... fuel pump priming indicates the ecm is "probably" ok... other things work? radio, lites, signals, wipers, etc? I bet you got the CCCI fuse... do the paper clip trick on the aldl, and make sure you get code 12... ecm self diagnostic....

Rechecked fuses all are good.

everything seems to be working as far as lights, electronics, etc.

This all started when I got this car. It will start right up and idle for about 2 seconds and then die. I could keep it barely running if I pumped up and down on the throttle. So I replaced the cam sensor with a caspers led cap.
I have tried up plugging the cam sensor to see if it will start in limp mode.

No fire what so ever now.

Den

What do you mean by no fire whatsoever?
1. Do you have a Scanmaster?
2.Was it running okay when you bought it? If so, what have you messed with since it ran okay?
3. Does the fuel pump power up when you turn the key to on?
4. Does it crank but not start?

It's probably something very simple.

Answer these questions and then go here, and click on troubleshooting.
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

You may have burned out the fusible link going to the computer from the battery or one of the others at the starter?

I got the car last week for cheap on a divorce sale. It was sitting out at -30. So towed to to my shop and let it thaw out. The car would start and barely run for a couple seconds and then stall. When it did fire it started right up and then stalled. Over and over it would start right up and then stall.

After this I replaced the cam sensor cap are verified 25 deg ATC. This is the same time I hooked up the battery charger backwards.

After this the car would not fire at all. I pulled a plug wire and put a spare plug in and turned the car over, did not see any spark.

1 car does have a scan master and I have turbo link hooked up as well. No codes on turbo link. TPS show close to correct settings and responds to throttle movement

2. See above

3 I checked for fuel pressure with key on, would not pressure up antil you cranked it, once running it had good pressure. My car is the past seemed to have fuel pressure when key is on? I even tried hot wiring the wire to the pump (the wire on the drivers side behind the AC), made no differnce car still stalled. At this point if dissreguarded FP as the problem.

4 yes

What do you mean by no fire whatsoever?
1. Do you have a Scanmaster?
2.Was it running okay when you bought it? If so, what have you messed with since it ran okay?
3. Does the fuel pump power up when you turn the key to on?
4. Does it crank but not start?

It's probably something very simple.

Answer these questions and then go here, and click on troubleshooting.
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

Hello Nick,

Yes I was thinking that might be it. I did check the one at the battery , orange wire and it was good at that fuseable link.

How would I check the one at the starter. I see they are a paint to get at. Is their somewhere more accessable that I can check this, maybe in the wireing harness? Color wire to check?

Dennis

You may have burned out the fusible link going to the computer from the battery or one of the others at the starter?

Do what I said above with the paper clip trick..... see if the ecm will flash code 12 (which is the 'handshake /self-diagnostic mode enabled"). It should ALWAYS flash code 12 when you key it up with the paper clip inserted.... if not, the ecm is probably fried... scanmaster, turbolink, etc. will not show code 12, as it's not a mal code that gets 'set'.....

The car would start and barely run for a couple seconds and then stall. When it did fire it started right up and then stalled. Over and over it would start right up and then stall.

Does it have a chip with an anti-theft feature?

DOH! :mad: Very nice... :smile: Me thinks you just solved original problem #1.... now whether something got fried in battery charger incident is TBD....

The chip that is in it is a Kenny Bell 9006 p-2, it was in the car when I got it. I yanked a stock chip out of my Turbo T and tried it no difference (this was when it was starting but would not stay running)

What pins to I insert the paper clip in to?

Den

Did you turn on the key when it was hooked up wrong? If so then ECM is Toast! Did your horn make a funny sound? If so, you may have got a fusible link but if no sound then maybe they are still OK.
Dont even ask how I know!! ;)

Did you turn on the key when it was hooked up wrong? If so then ECM is Toast! Did your horn make a funny sound? If so, you may have got a fusible link but if no sound then maybe they are still OK.
Dont even ask how I know!! ;)

NO, did not turn the key on when the charger was hooked up wrong.
Horn made no noise, sounds normal.

Den