ok guys need help to buy or not to buy this tta

autodynamics

OK so today I took a trip trailer and all and went to go look at a tta it was described to me as a 47k mint car only needing a rear spoiler. And drivers seat. The owner an older fellow was sincere In thinking his car was mint. As I walked around I noticed everything on the car was there but worn. Paint 7 interior 7 although the rear seats looked real good Headliner was good carpet needed a heavy cleaning or a replacement. Hatch was in good shape some scuffs on the interior panels, the rear hatch with vin intact was off 1/2 . The hatch hung over the quarters. The tires were dry rotted the wheels had all the clear flaking, the owners kit was preset but only the decals. Had the window sticker. The car drove but had no power, maybe a spring cleaning? Would fix? I was kinda bummed after seeing all this stuff....well I talked him down to 10k but still couldn't pull the trigger. Me being a car guy I seen money being invested and what would it be worth. when it was all done 13k in today's market ? Should I have bought it? Cat was leaking, and the inner. Fenders needed some love. The good part no rust all original clean title.....soooo opinons please

All the items you listed are normal for a 22 year old car with 47k miles.

All the items you mentioned are correctable.

Now if you want a TTA without all those issues, spend the coin and get something with a LOT LESS MILES. Like 8-10K miles. Even those have issues.. but carpet and seats on low mile cars hold up better.

So for 10K its a deal. The question looks like you want to get a car in the condition of a 20K one for 10K. The lower the price, the more you need to do to correct them. Always been the same game. Bet if all those little things where correct, the owner would never had gone down in price. Becuase of what it costs to properly maintain an older vehicle.

Then it depends what your intention is for the car. Driver, show, racer, etc. Someone wanting to simply mod it will leave it as is and beat the snot out of it. And put the money into mods. 2-3k will wake it up.

OK so today I took a trip trailer and all and went to go look at a tta it was described to me as a 47k mint car only needing a rear spoiler. And drivers seat. The owner an older fellow was sincere In thinking his car was mint. As I walked around I noticed everything on the car was there but worn. Paint 7 interior 7 although the rear seats looked real good Headliner was good carpet needed a heavy cleaning or a replacement. Hatch was in good shape some scuffs on the interior panels, the rear hatch with vin intact was off 1/2 . The hatch hung over the quarters. The tires were dry rotted the wheels had all the clear flaking, the owners kit was preset but only the decals. Had the window sticker. The car drove but had no power, maybe a spring cleaning? Would fix? I was kinda bummed after seeing all this stuff....well I talked him down to 10k but still couldn't pull the trigger. Me being a car guy I seen money being invested and what would it be worth. when it was all done 13k in today's market ? Should I have bought it? Cat was leaking, and the inner. Fenders needed some love. The good part no rust all original clean title.....soooo opinons please

I just sold my TTA with 50K miles on it for $13,650. It was an original 21 year old driver quality car sans the turbo, starter and stock cat which I had to replace with stock parts. I believe that it too was in very good condition but showed alittle bit of wear but no rust anywhere. Needed tires, a good clay bar and detailing but it still had all of its power. The suspension was tight and it still shifted fast. Interior was excellent except drivers side booster and headlinder was droping.

So I say $10K was a good price for that driver. The only thing that concerns my would be the lack of power. I would definity check the turbo for some play otherwise it might be the waste gate actuator. Mine went bad and no boost.

I say go back and see it again. Bring someone else with you. Check the turbo and actuator(replace it with a working one and see if it helps). Offer him $9K and buy it at that price. Get is running correctly and just enjoy driving it. Its a fun car and the best car I ever had and drove. Too bad I got caught up with kepting it as an investment and the fact that my wife is a pain.

Rob

$10K seems ok. When I first bought my TTA it was a slug too. But since I had a GN and knew what to do, just some small basic things got it running great. If you can get him down more, even better. But as long as you can keep the toal cost to around $13K after you fix everything, I think you are doing good. The wing will cost about $700 installed after paint and everything else. I replaced mine a few years ago.

Good luck.

You probably won't be able to find a good stock replacement drivers seat only, so you are looking at replacing all the leather at once so it will match. Which isn't a bad thing since the original leather is brutal unless you have a low mile garage queen. So, if the paint is only a 7/10, needs spoiler and possibly new leather and not running right, your $10k car is going to be a $15k real quick if you want it right.

Pete, I've been thinking of selling #916 to free up some garage space for something a little more exotic. I'm located off exit 46 on Southern State Parkway. PM me for my phone number if you want to see it. I think it's nicer than the one you looked at and the price is in the same ballpark.
Jim

I have seen some NICE cars go for around $10k lately (internet ads).

If you didnt feel like you wanted a project, you didnt miss out on a once in a lifetime deal ... keep searching :) ---

10K not to bad of a price. I mean they made 1550 of them so the amount of cars floating around drops all the time. I would say 10K is fair but 8K would be a deal. :cool: