Oil with zinc...I found some!!!!!

Dewey

Resident Smartass
I believe I've found some oil with zinc in it, but I can't remember the amount that we need to be effective. The oil I've found has a zinc content of 1600 ppm. Is that enogh??

True, the Rotella has it, but it will be reformulated soon, just like everything else. I'm running Rotella too.

Dewey:
Might want to do a search for the thread and / or threads that Richard Clark has done some input on regarding oils. I believe that his statement is that Zinc without the other 2 primary ingredients is not worthwhile. Look for thread within the last week in general tech section.

ZDDP is what you want. The reduction of it is what caused so many cams to wipe out. I mentioned this quite awhile back when everyone was wondering why cams were dying, because everyone had theories, but they werent the reasons. Do a search on theoildrop.server...something like that. Its also called bobistheoilguy.com...once again, something like that. You can go through huge lists of virgin oil analysis and used oil analysis, with just about every oil you can find. The best ones are the ones I always used religiously, even in cars that dont need ZDDP. Zinc and phosphorous are the main ones, but molybdenum (moly) is a good additive that mimicks the other ones. Its one of the most slippery substances on the planet. Good oils with all the above are:
Royal Purple. (I gained 2mpg over all other oils I tried)
Redline.
Quaker State "Q" oils.
Rotella.
Valvoline "SYN" oil and they also have a "SYN" treatment which is better than GM EOS.
Basically, stay away from all oils with the starburst symbol on the bottle. Those are the ones with reduced ZDDP.

Looks like the XP3 is the one for turbo cars, have you used it long?

The Gibbs oil is no detergent racing oil

Post 165 on the following link Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils - Page 9 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

says
'Some PURE racing oils contain no detergents and those products should be drained after each race weekend. Examples of these are Joe Gibbs oils, some Redline oils, and the NFS Valvolines. The old Castrol R was one of these, as well

The Brad-Penn, Swepco, & Royal Purple products all contain sufficient detergents to be left in the motor for several thousand miles.

and post #8 in the link Red Line - Which Grade? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

says
No we don't carry RP. We are going to be carrying Joe Gibbs. It is high in Z & P but has no detergents so it is purely for track applications.

David
87GN

Oils

Hey Guys,

Joe Gibbs has formulated something for us called hot rod oil. Has detergent and anti-rust for those of us wanting to drive our cars only once in a while.

bob

Brad Penn

bradpennracing.com The old green Kendall oil good stuff w/zinc

I bought a case of this stuff. It looks good on paper. I wiped a cam a few months ago and have been using this ever since. The jury is still out, but I think it will take care of the problem.

Check out Alisyn oils also, you guys in Ohio should know of these guys and their products.

Ron

I bought a case of this stuff. It looks good on paper. I wiped a cam a few months ago and have been using this ever since. The jury is still out, but I think it will take care of the problem.

So how is the Brad Penn racing oil???? I was thinking of buying this oil....

I work on small engines and according to Kohler their oil still has he right amount of zinc and what not in there. We were plagued with cam falures for the longest time until they did the same research that has been done in the car world.

In short, you can get Kohler oil in 10w-30 for pretty cheap.

I run Kendall in my buick since I bought it.Know Idea if cam is wiped out yet I will see in few weeks when I pull it apart.

Ive been running Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic in my GN since I bought it. Thats what the previous owner used so I saw no reason to change. Car has 60psi oil pressure cold and about 50psi at a 65mph cruise. Original 109, never opened (yet).