oil sender ?

krom415

first i wan't to say thanks to everyone i know i've been posting alot of newbie ?'s ..so here's my next 1 installing oil pressure gauge found the factory sensor that i'm going to tee no prob ..but the connector that goes to it is mush almost like puddy must i replace it i believe i read in 1 of the threads that it is not necessary ...once again tia ...great board

first i wan't to say thanks to everyone i know i've been posting alot of newbie ?'s ..so here's my next 1 installing oil pressure gauge found the factory sensor that i'm going to tee no prob ..but the connector that goes to it is mush almost like puddy must i replace it i believe i read in 1 of the threads that it is not necessary ...once again tia ...great board
i see that you are hotwired to the fuel pump so you dont need it. just tape it up and that way you just take out your factory oil sender unit and put in your new one. this way you dont need a tee.

Well, if I understand correctly; the factory wiring ISN'T used when installing a aftermarket oil pressure gauge. The factory plug and wiring just hangs there, as I've seen many times; and other Ive seen melted beyond repair. Just wire it away from everything, and you'll be fine.

As for the stock harness, I think mine is just lying on the timing cover. Im not sure, havent looked in a while...

Well, if I understand correctly; the factory wiring ISN'T used when installing a aftermarket oil pressure gauge. The factory plug and wiring just hangs there, as I've seen many times; and other Ive seen melted beyond repair. Just wire it away from everything, and you'll be fine.

As for the stock harness, I think mine is just lying on the timing cover. Im not sure, havent looked in a while...
you need the harness if you do not run the hotwire kit because the fuel pump relay is hooked up to it.

Actually, most "hotwire" kit relays are still activated by the stock fuel pump relay. The stock oil pressure light sender provides a bypass for the fuel pump circuit, should the fuel pump relay fail(it will turn the fuel pump on at 4lbs of oil pressure). That's why there are three wires on it. I replaced the mushy stock connector with three 90 degree, 1/4 inch spade connectors and some shrink tubing.

But couldn't you could bypass the fuel pump relay if you ran the hotwire kit?

Of course you could, by extending the wire(dark green/white) that activates the stock fuel pump relay back to the hotwire kit relay. It would then be a good plan to have a spare hotwire relay in the glovebox, as getting anywhere with the car would depend on that relay. When I hotwired my '85 GN: I did it that way as a DIY project. With the complete stock system in place(I went with Casper's kit this time): if the stock relay fails the oil pressure switch activates the hotwire kit's relay anyway. If the hotwire kit's relay fails: you can simply disconnect the kit, plug the stock connectors back together and get where you're going.

thanks for all the great info i'm going to do the splice and tee job just to be on the safe side