oil return line help

tsaltario

Still learning!!!!!
Í have a slight oil leak at my return line off the turbo. I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to get the line off to replace it. I already have a new line from Gbody parts but can't figure out how to get the original line off of the block. I can get it off the turbo, but not the block.

Anyone have tips/tricks to get it done?

It looks like it might be easier to remove the coolant lines that run along the passenger valve cover, but don't want to create the hassle/mess if I don't have too.

Any help would be appreciated.

TJ

I'm confused. Are you having trouble disconnecting it from the fitting on the block? If so you shouldn't be anywhere near the coolant lines that run along the passenger side valve cover. IIRC, it's easier to get at that fitting from underneath.

Jim

I'm confused. Are you having trouble disconnecting it from the fitting on the block? If so you shouldn't be anywhere near the coolant lines that run along the passenger side valve cover. IIRC, it's easier to get at that fitting from underneath.

Jim

underneath? are you thinking of the brass oil feed block down low or the return line thats above the timing cover?

underneath? are you thinking of the brass oil feed block down low or the return line thats above the timing cover?

Ooops, I was thinking feed not return. That's what happens when I post before my coffee. But even for the return I don't think moving the coolant lines up top would give you much more room to work. Dunno - haven't done it in a while.

Jim

Here's a pic, I'm standing on the passenger side, any help would be great!

Thanks guys.

TJ

Attachments

• P3210004a.jpg
    P3210004a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 200
Here's a pic, I'm standing on the passenger side, any help would be great!

Thanks guys.

TJ

i just get in there with an open end wrench. as far as that line its a coolant line. goes to the heater core.

It usually takes two wrenches to get the return line loose from the adaptor that screws into the block. (the adaptor fitting will unscrew out of the block instead of the return line loosening from the adaptor fitting.:mad: ) The return line has an inverted flare fitting, that screws into a adaptor fitting. It has inverted flare female (for the return line) and male pipe thread that screws into the block. When installing the new line, use teflon pipe sealant on the threads of the adaptor fitting. (not the return line though)

Ok, I thought that was a coolant line,

I've tried replacing the gasket, have learned some more tricks to seal the top end up. If that doesn't work, I think I'll drain the coolant, remove that line and try harder to get some wrenches down there to change the line.

Thanks guys

Tj