oil pump upgrades

christians87

I did a search and couldnt really find anything on what im looking for. I was told that the stock oil pump ws fine for a stock engine but once you start to up the boost it is suggested to upgrade the oil pump to a high volume unit on our cars. The person said that the mains and the cam bearings wont hold up very long under the higher boost levels with out the high volume oil pump. What do you guys think? I there any truth to this?

Lots of opinions here on oil pumps.I think the front cover mods by Earl Brown(?)(do a search, it is entertaining) is the first thing to do.I had less than 5psi with 15w40 Delo at hot idle and done the mods recommended with a HV pump and a new wear plate and ,most important, set the pump clearances at .002.Now hot idle is 10psi with 10w30 Castrol.If I remember correctly ,pressure rise of 8# per 1000 is factory specs

I have never used a high volume pump.

The typical Blueprint the front cover, you can search here and find a really good article, will usually suffice.

We have run the stocker on low 10 second stck crank and rods engines. They run fine.

Clearances in the pump, rods and mains are the most important part.

I have also seen excessive wear on the front cam bearing by a higvolume pump car. I however have talked with others that do not seem to have this issue.

Personally I have seen no need to run one, however I blueprint every one when building an engine.

Hope this helps.

I did a search and couldnt really find anything on what im looking for. I was told that the stock oil pump ws fine for a stock engine but once you start to up the boost it is suggested to upgrade the oil pump to a high volume unit on our cars. The person said that the mains and the cam bearings wont hold up very long under the higher boost levels with out the high volume oil pump. What do you guys think? I there any truth to this?

That 'person' is FOS.... HV oil pump puts undue stress on cam/cam bearings/cam sensor... 'PROPERLY' set-up/clearanced stock pump is perfectly adequate down to...... well, REAL fast!! Ask that guy what boost pressure has to do with the oil pump.... :rolleyes: :biggrin: :p

Let it eat.

Never heard anyone say here that since their car was running 10s they had to upgrade the front cover to keep up with the supply of oil to the rest of the engine.

Never heard so many questions about front covers till someone screws with one too.

BW

so im taking it that it is suggested to "blueprint" the front cover. Is there a link that can tell me how to do this and guide me through it?

From one of the other boards...

How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

FWIW, I have not done these mods, so I can't vouch for them, but it appears others have been very happy with the results..... perhaps some others here will speak up....

I have done this to now 5 covers & the improvement is great! I have (with 15-40 Rotella oil) about 14 Hot Idle with instantly hitting 60 with any RPM over 2500 every time. The needle just Jumps up. Also the motors are fresh & tight side Clearances on Rods & mains. That is a great (funny) writeup! Save it & use it on your covers.