Oil pump shaft side play

Pablo

My pump shaft has a little side play, how much is too much and where are you measuring from? I was going to put a micrometer perpendicular to the end where the cam sensor rides and move it back and forth, is this how you measure it?

Thanks in advance

I've never had one that any side play that could be felt. Not sure I'd be comfortable running it, could chew up the pump gears and/or cam sensor gear...

You probably want to use a dial indicator to check side clearance. I pulled a new GM cover and an aftermarket cover off the shelf. With a new drive gear in both, the side play at the top of the gear shaft was 003. That is tight enough so you can barely feel any side play. An old GM shop manual says you should have .003-.005 side clearance measured between both gears and the case. There is no spec for the shaft side play. If the shaft rocks noticeably, it may be time for a new cover.

Thanks guys. Yes Ek, a dial indicator is what I meant. I don't know why I said micrometer, brain fart I guess. Anyway I measured .020 of radial play at the end. Time for a new cover. Thanks a ton for measuring yours for me.