OIl pump question

Heath

Elroyjr
:confused: Dads new engine does not have enough oil pressure. Can I change the spring in the oil pump to give it more pressure?

How much pressure is not enough. These motors do not make a lot of oil pressure when warm and idling in gear.

spring

You can change the spring but once the oil gets hot--it will be where it was before the spring change. So, no, it won't fix your problem UNLESS the current spring is broken.

oil pressure

idling hot is 5 lbs it never sees more than 45lbs. With 10w-30 oil. My engine idles at 18 lbs with 20w-50.

Changing the spring will only have an effect on cruising/WOT pressure...won't change pressure at idle...

Do a search on Earl Browns "how to build a front cover" .I think is on one of the other Buick websites . Lots of good info about setting up the oil pump and opening up oil passages ,and entertaining. This worked for me ....45k motor with 5# at idle w/15w40 Delo oil; now runs 10# w/10w40 Castrol. Bummer to have re-enter a new engine tho.

Wildcat built the engine so I figure it is something to do with the oil pump. I thought they do enough buick engines the clearances should be right.

how do u adjust the clearance? I put my pump back together on my car and I did not have this problem. My dads had a high volume in it before but the new cover did not have pin holes drilled in it. So I put stock gears back in it.

how do u adjust the clearance? I put my pump back together on my car and I did not have this problem. My dads had a high volume in it before but the new cover did not have pin holes drilled in it. So I put stock gears back in it.

From the Vortex buick site, and reprinted from the factory service manual:

Blue Printing Oil Pump :wink:

Kirbans or Poston sells a shim kit, which is a selection of different thickness gaskets to fit between plate and pump body.I used plastigage to obtain .002 clearance. This will be hard to do in the car, best to pull the front cover and get it right...the life of your new motor depends on it.

If your plate is worn where the gears touch it,a new plate will help.Otherwise you will not help pressure without adjusting clearances tighter using a thinner gasket.