Oil pump gasket question???

I am using a Melling P20i Thrust Plate on my front cover and I developed an oil leak on the bottom (brown) gasket that fits between the thrust plate and oil filter housing. My question is has anyone ever used one of the regular paper gaskets that comes with the oil pump kits in this location? The only difference that I can see is the regular gasket has a larger hole opening to support the gears and the brown gasket does not. Thanks...

No sir I have not had a chance to. I will check tomorrow. I was just throwing this out there so that I can have everything in place when I start. This leak just started a few days ago. Do you know the bolts torque spec? Thanks....

The brown gasket may be a different thickness than the black gasket.

In the kit that TA sells, it has different colors for different thickness.

The brown gasket may be a different thickness than the black gasket.

In the kit that TA sells, it has different colors for different thickness.
The brown gasket goes underneath the thrust plate between the filter housing so I don't think it will affect the gear clearance. I could be wrong but I don't think that it would.

That I agree on but I don't understand how the gasket on the bottom of the thrust plate would matter because you would not be disturbing the gear clearance on top of the thrust plate where the gears ride on. The bottom gasket should only seal the thrust plate to the filter housing.

The P201s are not flat and should be blocked flat prior to use. Clean all surfaces with a good solvent use NO sealer on the gaskets bottom or top and as mentioned use the TA Perf shim kit to set up gear side. Also upgrade cam sensor roll pin to a heavy duty unit.

The P201s are not flat and should be blocked flat prior to use. Clean all surfaces with a good solvent use NO sealer on the gaskets bottom or top and as mentioned use the TA Perf shim kit to set up gear side. Also upgrade cam sensor roll pin to a heavy duty unit.
Thanks for the reply everyone but my original question has not been answered....Can the gasket with the gear pocket be used in place of the full gasket between the oil filter housing and thrust plate? I only have a small oil leak in that area. Thanks...

Be sure plate is flat and mating surfaces are clean and while ive never tried it I bet it will seal if installed correctly

Thanks for the reply everyone but my original question has not been answered....Can the gasket with the gear pocket be used in place of the full gasket between the oil filter housing and thrust plate? I only have a small oil leak in that area. Thanks...
Yes

The only way to know is to try. I can't give you any first hand experience, because no cover that I ever touch will have one of those plates anywhere near it.

If you want to fix it, and only do it once, do this....

https://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/...66-building-front-cover-oil-pump-part-1a.html

The oiling system on these cars isn't the place to screw around.

Does anyone have the gasket # for the thinner gasket? The stock GM were .009-.010 and the other was a .005 and that's the one I am looking for.