oil prime question

justamatt

ok wrapin up the rebuild and im down to the last thing and of coarse i have an issue no prime on oil pump would .004 clearence cause this??

Did You Pack The Pump Cavities With Vaseline Before Assembly....

I agree with NOKA72. It will not prime unless you pack the pump with grease or vasaline. You should still get oil pressure even with .004 clearance (just not as much). Why so much clearance? :confused: Your oil pressure will probably be pretty low when the engine is warm.

well to be honest its my first rebuild and yeah i kinda skipped doing all this on the stand doh!! after measuring the gasketts i had a choice of .001 or .004 and i was hoping that the gaskets would crush down to .002 trial and error kind of approach. no i didnt pack it with vasoline ive filled the filter and swith port with oil to prime b4 when i did the timing chain 6 months ago and was hopeing to get away with it again. Well ill pack the damn thing tonight and cross my fingers there are some other issues with the oil pump.

With the HV pump I don't think you will have a pressure problem. Did you try loosening the oil filter and then try to prime it?

Since you're taking the pump cover off anyway, why not re-clearance it while you have it apart? Better to do things right ONCE that go in and fix it again.

On another note- did you replace the front cover? If so, did you check all the passages for casting flash/passage blockage, and blueprint the cover?

Ok here is what happend. The pump had the spacer type oil pump with longer gears in it when I bought the car and after droping the motor in i couldnt get the thing to not bind and kink. I didnt like it much anyhow and since i just did a rebuild i figured i would get a thrust plate and go back with original gearing (i know i need to update my sig sorry forgot it was on there). Other possible issues are i couldnt find a new screen pickup gasket so i made one with paper and rtv im pretty positive thats not the problem the only other thing that is wrong is the cooler adaptor. (this is a TTA) the metal frame portion of the o ring seat is broken in 2 places i dont know how this happend or if it was already like this (the machine shop but the o-ring seems to be seating just fine plus i figured it would still gain pressure and leak if it wasnt am a wrong there? Which leaves the end play i dont know how to measure it from the cam sensor all i can do measure the cavity gears and gaskets and had too choices .001 or .004 / .001 is using 2 different types of gaskets the plastic one and a felpro paper

anybody know if that o-ring would cause it to not prime????
on a side note i wish the machine shop had never taken this thing apart:mad:

had a quick idea wouldnt filling through the turbo oil feed line and running the pump in reverse do the trick of vasoline???
oilprime.jpg

any ideas b4 i take it all apart again??? btw this didnt work still no pumpy

had a quick idea wouldnt filling through the turbo oil feed line and running the pump in reverse do the trick of vasoline???

any ideas b4 i take it all apart again??? btw this didnt work still no pumpy

That's what I did and it worked for me, I turned it in reverse until it sucked in about a qt and a half of oil. I then loosend the line to the turbo and cranked it with the orange wire unhooked and waited till oil spewed out at the turbo oil feed.

well so i guess the only 2 things left are oil pickup screen gasket or o-ring on oil cooler any bets
im
pretty positive that the pump is full of oil

You might try filling the oil pump through one of the oil cooler hoses.Thats worked for me.Good luck.

Looks like theres nothing there to support the o ring. A leaker for sure.Repace it or run it without the oil cooler.Good luck.

is there any other way for the pump to not gain pressure besides the pickup screen gasket ANYBODY?????????? PLEASE BEFORE I DRAIN THE PAN

well one last try before i pull the pan and WHOO HOO it primed spitting oil everywhere (still had the cooler off) im guessing i had the nut where the switch port is to tight IDK she's all buttoned up but now the battery is dead welcome to my world battery was good last night oh well thanks for all the input guys