oil pressure to turbo

Whatever the engine will make for pressure. I wouldn't be worried about too much. Inadequate pressure or inadequate oil return is a concern

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My journal bearing t3/t4 sees over 100psi every start up never leaks

As mentioned you want oil to the turbo and ability to drain from turbo. Too much oil ....too big a feed line that will over whelm the drain and/or catrigde sealing rings is not good and will cause smoking on the hot side and/or oil in the intake. So no bigger than a 4 an with a easy free flow drain. High psi and or high volume will have the size of the supply line as a restrictor.

As mentioned you want oil to the turbo and ability to drain from turbo. Too much oil ....too big a feed line that will over whelm the drain and/or catrigde sealing rings is not good and will cause smoking on the hot side and/or oil in the intake. So no bigger than a 4 an with a easy free flow drain. High psi and or high volume will have the size of the supply line as a restrictor.
The sealing rings are iron piston ring style and aren't positive seals and will allow oil into the ex or intake side is there is any pressurization in the drainback. The feed line size doesn't matter. The feed pressure and oil viscosity do. The internal clearances are what determines the volume at any given pressure.

Funny that pte says different....at least what they told me. The early turbo saver had too big of a feed line and it caused issues. They changed to a 4 an with the later kits

Funny that pte says different....at least what they told me. The early turbo saver had too big of a feed line and it caused issues. They changed to a 4 an with the later kits
The laws of physics don't lie. The flow is determined by the cross section of the flow area. Those flow areas are determined by the clearances in the cartridge. That cross section is less than any of the feed lines. Going larger on the feed line won't matter because the regulation is in the cartridge. If you have a cross section of .5 in/sq and you feed it with a line that has 1,2 3, etc in/sq cross section the regulation point is the smaller .5 sq/in. Flow through that .5 in/sq cross section will be the same in all instances as long as the feed pressure,viscosity, and pressure in the open area of the cartridge are the same. There's no way to increase flow through it by increasing the feed line cross section since the regulation point is after the feed. If the feed line had less cross section than the cartridge clearance then it becomes the regulator. There's no disputing this. I've had a -6 feed on my black car for 15 years and have had over 50 turbos on it over the years and none of them had oil leakage into the exhaust. Oil pressure with SAE 40 at 180-200 degrees up to 85psi@6000 rpm.

Thats quite the answer...LOL

Curious Bryan why PTE, Works, etc would recommend 4 an with the smaller frame stuff in the line is less than 3 feet long.

That i would need to confirm ive run 2 sizes the smallest ones outside diameter is around 8mm the other 10mm.the only time i worry about line sizes or restrictors is on BB turbos

85 psi in engine at wot and no leakby at turbo hmm and a bigger oil feed line too interesting .
Keep in mind that at 6000 rpm the exhaust pressure will be 60-70psi@800hp with a 3 bolt. The charge pressure in the compressor cover will be in the mid 30's. No way oil is leaking from the bearing housing outward under those conditions. You will be leaking charge air and exhaust gasses into the crankcase.