Oil pressure switch question

c55asleep

I just purchased a oil pressure gauge. I was checking the oil pressure switch and the connector was completely damaged. If I'm putting a new switch is the factory one needed and do I have to reinstall the factory connector? Thanks for any help.

you dont need to have the factory switch installed when going to a gauge but
you wont have a low oil pressure idiot lamp incase oil pressure drops below 4psi ,
and that switch is a combination switch that provides a secondary source for 12v to the fuel pump should your relay fail it will provide power to the fuel pump as long as oil pressure is above 4psi

many just remove it and be sure that the connector is secured in a safe way to prevent it from getting grounded on the block and , also the rubber can deteriorate over time and can short out if wet or the terminals to contact each other causing fuel pump issues and popped fuses

you dont need to have the factory switch installed when going to a gauge but
you wont have a low oil pressure idiot lamp incase oil pressure drops below 4psi ,
and that switch is a combination switch that provides a secondary source for 12v to the fuel pump should your relay fail it will provide power to the fuel pump as long as oil pressure is above 4psi

many just remove it and be sure that the connector is secured in a safe way to prevent it from getting grounded on the block and , also the rubber can deteriorate over time and can short out if wet or the terminals to contact each other causing fuel pump issues and popped fuses

Thank you for the reply. Does having the hot wire for the fuel pump bypass the stock fuel pump relay? I had a new walbro pump and hotwire kit installed.

the hotwire still uses the factory fuel pump relay to trigger it (and that combo oil switch as well if its still in place ),
hotwire kits just takes the load off the factory wiring and runs the power for the pump through a heavier gauge wire connected at alternator so it has a higher voltage than through the OE setup that has numerous areas where voltage drop occurs
if you lose the factory relay the hotwire relay wont activate and you'll have no pump

the hotwire still uses the factory fuel pump relay to trigger it (and that combo oil switch as well if its still in place ),
hotwire kits just takes the load off the factory wiring and runs the power for the pump through a heavier gauge wire connected at alternator so it has a higher voltage than through the OE setup that has numerous areas where voltage drop occurs
if you lose the factory relay the hotwire relay wont activate and you'll have no pump

Ok. Thanks again. I might want to keep a spare fuel pump relay on hand.