oil pressure sensor

87hottness

Where is the factory sensor for the light on the dash ? I want to install a gauge and figured I would just pull the stock sensor and install the after market tjanks for tje help

It's located by the oil filter on the block. Has three wire connector and is attached to the brass fitting that also has the turbo oil feed line.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here is an example of what I did to my oil pressure gauge sender unit which is above the oil filter and inline with the original stock oil pressure switch.

Attachments

• 87GN 005.jpg
    87GN 005.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,005
  • 87 GN 066.jpg
    87 GN 066.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 803
and if your fuel pump relay ever flakes out, you're fucked and waiting on a rollback.

Hi earlbrown, What does the fuel relay pump relay has to do with installing an oils pressure gauge sender?
The oil pressure sender has a switch in it that bypasses the fuel pump relay when the engine has oil pressure. I leave the stock sender in and put a "T" in for the oil pressure gauge.

the oil pressure switch isn't really a bypass, it's more of a redundant backup. During normal operation, they both command the fuel pump to run. If the fuel pump relay ever fails, you can crank the engine until it sees oil pressure and that will fire the pump and get you home.

contrary to popular belief the oil pressure switch is NOT a safety device to kill an engine in the event of oil pressure loss (unless of course your fuel pump relay is bad :) )

+1 on what Earl posted. The stock ECM also can fail causing the fuel pump relay to not operate. There is a small transistor in the ECM for the FP relay that does fail for no real reason. Other then it is slightly undersized.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hi earlbrown, I didn't fully read his thread and after reading it again that he wanted to remove the oil pressure switch and replace it with an aftermarket gauge; and yes I do agree with you, that's a no no . That's why I gave him a couple of photos of what I did by putting a "T" in place and leaving the oil pressure switch alone.

Hey guys I'm trying to add an OP gauge and know where the factory sensor is but can't find the correct wrench to remove it. None of my sockets fit so I went and bought the "GM oil sender removal socket" from the local parts store but guess what; it does not fit. It is 1 3/16". What do I need to remove it without destroying the sensor?
Thanks ahead!

I the FP relay fails why can't you just jump the wires together until you get a new one?