oil pressure readings need advice

skostur79

hello all,

i just got my engine up and runing but the oil pressure is below specs

5psi at hot idle and 22 at 2800 rpms thats bad right ?

newly reman short block , new heads 208 cam,

hv oil pump and 10w30 oil ( you think 10w30 and a new engine is fine)

i broke it in for 20 mins then changed the oil again , i hooked up a digital

pressure gauge so its right,

please give me ideas as i going nuts and broke

bad timing cover?

any thoughts would help ,,,,

Were your original block and crank reused in this assembly? Do you know what kind of bearing clearances the shortblock has? Was the clearance set properly in the oil pump when it was built? Was the oil pickup tube/screen torqued with a new gasket?

new reman short block built by a machine shop
never taken apart ex for the cam r/r

pick up tube and gasket new and to spec

clearance on oil pump , i used the shim with the kit it was ok but

i could be wrong ,

Those readings are way too low. If you don't know the clearences on the mains,rods or the oil pump I'd bet the shop thought it was a chevy and they are .0025-.003. Your timing cover could be badly worn also. Don't put any type of load on the engine. Go back to the shop and ask them about it tell them your situation see what they say. Then go from there :)

Those pressures SUCK! Start a teardown to determine the cause(s) of this problem. Sounds like you have more than one problem if its that low with the HV pump. Oil pump clearance should be .0015-.002in in a non worn cover. Im almost sure you melted the front cam bearing and oil pressure is pissing out the front of the engine as well as having excessive clearance on the mains. Maybe a plug was left out of the front of the block? Thats the lowest oil pressure ive heard of with a HV oil pump. I just set up a standard volume one in an engine with 200k on it and it has 45psi at 2000rpm, and 15psi at 750rpm when its really hot with 10w-30. The only bearing i replaced in the engine prior to the new pump was the front cam bearing because it was worn all other bearings are the originals. There will be an obvious answer to this problem. Keep us posted.

heres some more info

the shop is in pa and no warrenty they looked like a good machine shop but?wtf

i put a new standard pump on its about 4 psi hot 30w oil
cold ya its great at 75 psi

i surface the oil filter plate there one very small scratch

the housing has some wear but was used on the last enigne with better pressures with a spun cam bearing

so bottom line is there anything that i can do in the car?

because im so pissed if i gotta pull the engine again ,,,, :mad:

No way there should be that low pressure with the HV pump - even a stock pump.

What did the machine shop say? Who is it - no point keeping a hack a secret - if in fact there is something wrong that they can be held responsible for in the course of the work that you paid for on this engine job.

Did they do the machine work and the assembly?

.0025 on the mains and rods will still not cause that low pressure - it is not about thinking it is a Chevy.

Maybe something in the front cover - a gasket in the oil pump assembly :confused: maybe some more experienced builders will have some other ideas before ripping it all apart. I say look at the pump and front cover first - also keep on the machine shop if they did all the work. No warrentee does not let them off the hook for failing to perform for what they accepted money .

You paid $325 for shortblock? You get what you pay for and this case it looks like a POS engine that was rebuilt improperly. Pull it open it up see what you got. Find a good buick engine man and do it agian. Be prepared to spend more than $325 for a stock short block. :eek:

Steve V said:
You paid $325 for shortblock? You get what you pay for and this case it looks like a POS engine that was rebuilt improperly. Pull it open it up see what you got. Find a good buick engine man and do it agian. Be prepared to spend more than $325 for a stock short block. :eek:

im cheap , yes i blame myself for not check clearances but still

i have a 109 block that is ready for new cam bearings and a hone job

skostur79 said:
im cheap , yes i blame myself for not check clearances but still

i have a 109 block that is ready for new cam bearings and a hone job
Be prepared to spend $1k to get your short block straigtened out.

Yeah it is cheap but they would have taken $5k if the bidding went up that high.

Point is that it sounds like they sold a screwed-up engine

Also, the you get what you pay for is a BS cliche.

If they do not take it back or fix it, they need a negative to kill that 100% feedback score - they will loose sales if others read about your bad engine.

ill call them since i have found the problem

does anyone want to guess what the main problem is ??????? :confused:

i will post pics

but lets see how good you guys are ,,,

the one that gets it right gets a case of beer or ?

skostur79 said:
ill call them since i have found the problem

does anyone want to guess what the main problem is ??????? :confused:

i will post pics

but lets see how good you guys are ,,,

the one that gets it right gets a case of beer or ?
I guess my earlier post wasnt one of them. Heres my new one. PR valve stuck open?

you have 4 answers pick one and you may be a winner !!!! :biggrin:

bison said:
Those pressures SUCK! Start a teardown to determine the cause(s) of this problem. Sounds like you have more than one problem if its that low with the HV pump. Oil pump clearance should be .0015-.002in in a non worn cover. Im almost sure you melted the front cam bearing and oil pressure is pissing out the front of the engine as well as having excessive clearance on the mains. Maybe a plug was left out of the front of the block? Thats the lowest oil pressure ive heard of with a HV oil pump. I just set up a standard volume one in an engine with 200k on it and it has 45psi at 2000rpm, and 15psi at 750rpm when its really hot with 10w-30. The only bearing i replaced in the engine prior to the new pump was the front cam bearing because it was worn all other bearings are the originals. There will be an obvious answer to this problem. Keep us posted.

who guessed all 4 cam bearings spun

ding ding we have a winner!!!!

what took 2 weeks to build , takes 30 mins to selfdestuct

and 2 hours to pull back out and find the problem :eek:

Attachments

• IMAGE_275.jpg
    IMAGE_275.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 202