Oil pressure drop to zero in deep curves!!

SHEPP2

Cold start the oil pressure is at 70psi or 80psi when hot its like at 20psi-25psi. For some reason now a month later after oil change when I go into a curve it drops to zero and the oil light comes on. As soon as I straighten up it jumps back to 20psi and the oil light goes out. Is it the oil pump?? Now I will say this I have a oil cooler. When I change the oil a month ago it read full just like always 10w30 synthetic oil moble1 regular oil filter. Now a month later its not showing anything now on the oil stick.My car is a daily driver. I'm getting a oil reading on my gauge but the oil stick shows nothing. My car is not smoking I have no oil leaks, no knocking or anything sounds good. Any help is welcome...thanks

Last edited:
I would add oil til it shows full and drive again. Sounds like that zero is real and pickup is uncovering.
Be Very Careful !!!

I'm not driving it until I figure it out. The reason I changed it this time was b/c the oil light popped on. My oil stick shows nothing after a month of driving but I made sure it was full when I changed it. 3weeks to a month the oil stick show no oil but my gauge is reading 80psi on cold start and at hot 25psi??? What could it be??

Oil fairy coming taking oil. Is there a quarter on the valve cover.

Actually you need to give a little more info. such as Stock engine ? Miles on it ? Been rebuilt ? What oil filter are you using ? You say 25psi hot ? Hot as in driving or 25psi at idle and in gear? As far as the oil light coming on in a curve SURE it will if way low on oil. Personally I'd get rid of the synthetic oil and go with a good oil like Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. 10-30W and a bottle of ZDDP. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Why would you drive or even start the car when your dipstick doesn't register oil level? When you changed the oil did you fill it, start it to cycle oil through, let it sit, (drain back to pan) then check it again? Do you fill your new oil filter before you install it?

First off thanks for you guys help. As far a stock I'm sure there are some up grades but I've never opening her up it has a front mount intercooler,I added 42 pound injectors, hotwire kit,fuel ect. Just add ons,I'm sure high mileage car. I've had the car for at least four years.I can't say if its been rebuilt before I bought it. The oil filter is a O'Reilly auto parts MicroGard. At idle its at 25psi while driving it raises up depending on how fast I'm going on the highway.160 thermostat, no codes on the scanmaster.

I can't say this will help but this it...

Attachments

• 1416587012034.jpg
    1416587012034.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 1416587034813.jpg
    1416587034813.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 173
Why would you drive or even start the car when your dipstick doesn't register oil level? When you changed the oil did you fill it, start it to cycle oil through, let it sit, (drain back to pan) then check it again? Do you fill your new oil filter before you install it?
X2

I will change the oil again this even with Valvoline VR-1 10-30W where can I get the ZDDP at??What filter should I use? Question why after 3 weeks I have no oil on the oil stick?? 2nd what early symptoms causes can you tell if its the oil pump?

Yes when I change the oil: I drain first then take the oil filter off while draining. Once theres no oil dripping I put the oil nut back in the oil pan I fill the new oil filter with new oil screw it on. Then I fill the oil in the motor, cap it. Let it run for 4 mins. Cut the engine off let sit for 4mins. Check oil stick and add if needed to its full and that's it...a month later no oil on the stick. I've added in the past till the stick said full. Only to see the gauge reading way over and the car smoking which indicated to me I had over filled it.

Last edited:
I will change the oil again this even with Valvoline VR-1 10-30W where can I get the ZDDP at??What filter should I use? Question why after 3 weeks I have no oil on the oil stick?? 2nd what early symptoms causes can you tell if its the oil pump?
Oil pumps usually do not go out for no apparent reason unless something gets in the gears like broken tooth or debris , your problem sounds like it is getting rid of the oil some how slowly , I would go to a thicker oil and see if it slows down between changes but keep a check on it from now on or you do not want to run with out oil unless you are ready for a engine $$$$ .

Last edited:
I would drop the lower hose on the F/M and see how much oil fills a drain pan.

Like mentioned above if you're not leaking it your burning it or consuming it somewhere.

You might be surprised at what comes out or at the very least you eliminate one more possibility.

It definitely sounds like you are sucking oil through the system somewhere.

Check your PCV and eliminate the emission hose to the turbo inlet bell if still equipped.

How many quarts did you put in?

How many miles were put on the car in that month?

With a trans cooler you will need up to an extra quart.

D

F/M?? Do you mean the front mount intercooler? Robzombie. And Evil I would say the whole 5 quart container and maybe a half a cup more. From work and home I'm looking at about 25 miles give or take a day Monday-Saturday so that would be like 600 miles a month to 650 miles a month.

original question was about low oil pressure lamp coming on while taking a curve ...and then a check of oil shows nothing on dipstick...

ill make this simple .... if you dont read anything on the dipstick you need more oil before you operate, you cavitated the oil pickup and have been running with very little oil which isnt good for the motor

as for all the other questions asked about what you have ...i dont care if he has a dump truck motor or a lawn mower engine under his hood it doesnt matter ......PUT OIL IN THE ENGINE

if you're asking why is it low after a month either your motor is consuming it through the rings and its going out the tailpipes ..or its in the intercooler from a bad turbo or you have a leak ( imagine that a buick that leaks ) or the oil fairy has been screwing with your car

How has no one explained to the OP that the oil pressure reading has no bearing on the actual volume of oil inside the engine?

SHEPP2: The oil pressure readings do not indicate how much oil there is in the motor. Pressure is dictated by clearances inside the engine (mains, rods, oil pump, etc) and viscosity and temp of oil. If you're relying on your oil pressure gauge to tell you how full your system is, you'r going to have a bad time. Put some oil in the damned thing. If you're truly losing that much oil, there's a major leak and shouldn't be hard to find. Perhaps you left an oil filter gasket stuck to the pump adapter on last oil change? After you fill it up, there shoukd be a large puddle wherever you park it.