Oil Pan Studs ?

GN ERGY

Can I use an oil pan stud kit from a small block chevy? Or are the bolts different. I've done a couple of oil pans on chevy trucks and it is just easier to get the pan back on with the gasket with RTV on it with out trying to get those short A$$ bolts back in. Studs are just easier.
Thanks
Tarey D.

not sure if you want to do studs. im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to do a oil pan gasket with the motor in the car with studs down there.

The studs will only stick down about 5/8 of an inch so it shouldn't interfear with the pan going back on. Are the oil pan bolts metric or american? I guess I'll have to pull a couple and find out. Autozone is getting me the neopreme seal and oil pan gasket on monday. Would like to have studs before starting the job.
Tarey D.

studs

Hi,
The Buick block is tapped for standard bolts. 5/16-20. I think.I view your use of the stock neprene gasket with some trepidation,as I had a leaker after several months when I replaced the rear main seal in car years ago. I am putting my motor together finally, and have purchased the thick cork gasket. I hear these can leak too,so I am going to dust the gasket on both sides with high tack gasket adhesive, see if that helps. Of course, it is important to keep the surfaces as clean as possible, and the oil pan rails should be in great shape, nice and straight. Those dimples make them hard to check, but try to use a straight edge.
If my fresh motor gets leaks, I think I will try "The Right Stuff", a super silicone that is pretty good stuff, just very pricey.
Good luck with your job!

I was talking about the neopreme rear main seal fel pro BS40613 and a cork pan gasket. And I always put ultra black rtv on the gaskets for extra protection.
Tarey D.

Hi,
Sorry, I need new glasses! After I put in my lip seal, never had a drop out of it. The oilpan gasket, however.....