Oil pan removal and gasket replacement

Victory

Still A Noob...
I was under my car today changing the oil and noticed the rubber gaskets for my oil pan is stretched and pinched and generally dosen't look like it's sitting right.

It causing a messy leak. I want to remove the pan and put a new gasket in. Is it as simple a removing the cross pipe (which looks rusted solid) then unbolting and dropping the pan? How difficult would it be for a shade tree mechanic like myself to do it?

Thanks

Victory

I havent done it in the car but Im pretty sure you have to unbolt the engine mounts from the frame and lift the engine so the pan can clear the oil pump pick up tube, not 100% positive on that though

Lubricate the 4 crossover bolts everyday for a week if you can still drive the car and not create a massive leak.

Getting the pan off really isnt too hard, you might have to take the motor mount bolts off and jack the motor up a inch to have it clear the oil pickup tube.

Drop and twist it to clear the baffle to the pickup tube.

Felpro gasket and no sealant, do not overtorque them, make sure you go round and round the pan while tightening them down to get the pan gasket to stay in place and not squish out at the front where it meets the timing cover.

BW

i did mine not to long ago. just pull the crossover take out all the oil pan bolts pull the pan. you might have to spin the crank over by hand so the front of the pan doesnt hit the crank. if you have old tired motor mounts you might need to lift the motor some. i have hrparts motor mounts and i had plunty of room. its a simple job if you ask me.

To make the install easier, a couple of tips:

Make sure everything is as squeaky clean as possible.
Use dental floss to lightly tie the gasket to the pan.

Don't rush- it's really an easy job.

You can do like I did. It started leaking a couple of months ago. So I just waited till I blew a headgasket, which was last week. So I pulled the motor and it should be a fairly easy job.

You can do like I did. It started leaking a couple of months ago. So I just waited till I blew a headgasket, which was last week. So I pulled the motor and it should be a fairly easy job.

Thanks I needed that:D :D I had a bad day.

Thanks fellas!

It sounds like a can-do (if I don't have to lift the motor). I'll grab a helper and give it a shot. Is liquid wrench the thing to use on the rusted crossover bolts or is there something better?

V

Kano-Kroil is a good rust penetrant, I'm starting to spray mine now for a planned seal change, but I would like to use studs for the oil pan to make putting it back on easier. Any of you guys know the bolt thread sizes. Can I use a chevy small block kit. I just want to have everything on hand when I do it. Thanks
Tarey D.

Would anyone have the part number for the Felpro gasket for the oil pan?

Thanks

Victory

you dont have to but RJC makes a really nice oil pan gasket for our cars. it thinker then stock and it doesnt leak. well at least on my car it didnt

How long does it take to change the gasket once you've spray enough penetrant on it?