Oil Pan Gasket

Spooling

Is there an oil pan gasket that is available from the local Auto Parts Stores - that is worth installing?

Is a cork gasket the recommended gasket? I have used ROL Cork gaskets before with good results - yet I cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Manufacturer and Part Number would be great as well !!!

Many Thanks !!!

The blue Felpro silicone gaskets can be found in most auto parts stores but I wouldn't recommend them. They tend to squish out when tightening leading to leaks. Some have had success with them though...

Imo, a Duttweiler Cork Gasket is the one you want to use. They're available from Kirbans (#6771), Gbody Parts (website not currently working) & RJC (RJC -DPG-20 if using a stock pan). Cometic gaskets are supposed to be good too but I haven't tried them.

This gasket won't split....

rightstuff2.jpg

I gave up on oil pan gaskets years ago when I got tired of driving back and forth to the parts store with brand new split gaskets in my hand.

This gasket won't split....

rightstuff2.jpg

I gave up on oil pan gaskets years ago when I got tired of driving back and forth to the parts store with brand new split gaskets in my hand.
Ahhhhh "The Wrong Stuff" I have seen Many oil pans leak with this stuff and it is Very hard to get off once it is on and a complete mess to clean up.... The last one we repaired was at this years TB.com event at Richard Clarks place.... What a mess!

Oil pans were meant to have gaskets and I personally like the cork gaskets where I have seen the blue silicone ones also squeeze out and leak....The dimples pressed into the rim of the oil pan where the gasket goes are supposed to be like a "stop" to help prevent the pan from squishing gaskets but I have seen it happen... I have a cork gasket on mine and there is absolutely no leaks under my car what so ever!

I second that..cork and permatex #2 for me

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I use the Cometic oil pan gasket too. The thick cork gaskets are fine, but the cometic gasket is the best that can be gotten. It's thick and tough, it'll never split. Summit has them in stock.

The blue rubber felpro is junk.

Do they make a cosmetic for the rjc pan?

Do they make a cosmetic for the rjc pan?

If you've got Jason's (RJC) extended oil pan, then I'd suggest using his cork gasket that he has designed specifically for this oil pan.
I was very impressed with how robust it looked and have had it installed on mine using Permatex Ultra Black on both sides. No issues and a dry oil pan & gasket.

dave

RJC Oil Pan Gasket.jpg

If you've got Jason's (RJC) extended oil pan, then I'd suggest using his cork gasket that he has designed specifically for this oil pan.
I was very impressed with how robust it looked and have had it installed on mine using Permatex Ultra Black on both sides. No issues and a dry oil pan & gasket.

dave

Mines installed the same way, just needs a freshie, and, I wondered if there was another option.

Thanks.

This is good info guys thanks I'm fixn to install my cometic tonight glad to read good results with cuz I sure don't like my car to pee in the driveway :eek:

Make sure to measure the pickup to pan clearance. Every engine that I've built without even running a gasket had excessive clearance..

I am just wondering if people are using a torque wrench the install the pan when they have had problems with the blue Fel-Pro gaskets. The recommended torque is pretty low and usually requires a 1/4" drive torque wrench which many don't have. I have them installed on my engine right now, which is why I'm curious, but I've used the same gasket material in other applications and I have only had a problem when I've over-tightened them, or the pan was warped. Rubber gaskets can sometimes be re-used because they don't permanently deform. But I usually wind up replacing them anyway so cork seems like its more forgiving, in that it doesn't get damaged as easily. The real reason I used the Fel-pro is because they came in my gasket set and I didn't see enough advantage to buy separate cork gaskets.

Based on my personal experience, if you torque the blue Fel-Pros to the manufactures recommended torque, the bolts fall out under use.

I'm guessing the torque specs are based on a factory gasket with a higher durometer reading.

I just opened the box for my new 20 bolt oil pan from RJC and it came with a Fel-Pro 1400 and it does not line up??? I have to try and catch Jason before he ships my 5 inch Down Pipe with all the goodies.... But Earl the S/S 20 bolt oil pan kit looks sweet;).

I've used the "Right Stuff" and not had a leak BUT if you ever have to or feel the need to change out the gasket for whatever reason, it is a PITA to remove and cleanup. I would get the cork gasket and not worry about it.

Make sure to measure the pickup to pan clearance. Every engine that I've built without even running a gasket had excessive clearance..

Ah you must be running one of those mythical "non dented" oil pans. I've heard rumors that those are out there but have yet to find one.

Just got a cometic gasket here and it looks like a nice piece. Summit tried to fold it in half and they failed!