oil on filter

turbo buicks

ESADAH!!!
every once in a while my car leaves oil on the ground but not by the front or rear mains but under the oil filter and i looked at the filter and it has a oily film over it and i cleaned it and checked it the next day and it was the same way. do i need a new gasket and where can i get one if i do and how hard is it to put in?

Kenne Bell and Kirban sells oil filter adapter O-rings. Also, did you clean the mating surface between the oil filter and adapter before installing your new oil filter? I have seen some shops take the old oil filter and use the oil from that filter to lube the gasket. I never did that as a technician working on customers cars, and I definitely won't do that on my cars. When our Lexus was still under warranty, there was either a defective oil filter installed or a dirty mating surface, because there was a leak by the gasket. I asked them politely to change it and they refused, until it leaked again and they gave us a loner car and towed it in. Needless to say, that Lexus dealer no longer does oil changes for us. What a waste of time for me and the dealership after refusing a simple request.

When the oil return line cracks or the return line gasket on the turbo is bad it will drip and land on top of the oil filter.

now that you said that i can see some oily, gunky buildup on the return outlet of the turbo. is it easy to fix this problem?

Just buy a new gasket for the turbo drain tube and only snug up the fasteners as overtightening them will warp the tube and cause more leaks. Also make sure that the tube isn't cracked anywhere.