Oil Leak

BuickTV6

kicking butt Intercooled
Hey guys long time since i posted! :). Anyways I have not driven my car for awhile now since its winter. But before I stored it, I noticed i developed an oil leak. It started off pretyt slow, but now its so bad I can't drive the car. While its running, its pouring out :confused: . I noticed that this leak is coming from the front cover, what appears to be the oil pump, right where the oil filter connects to. The problem is, I cannot tell if its because the filter did not seal right cause i did drive it about 300 miles with no problems till now. And I do not have a good view, as the intercooler bracket bolts to the front cover and gets in the way of me seeing the oil filter. Is it possible the pump could be leaking like that? or do you guys think it might be the filter. Its on there good and tight, I actually can't even hand turn it off. Any insight?

Check the oil filter seal. I had mine blow in cold weather years back while the car was sitting in front of the house warming up. Scared the heck out of me. Engine started tapping all of a sudden, then I saw a large puddle of oil under it :eek: . Installed a new filter and poured in more oil, and it happened again. Appears that the pump pressure spring was too strong, complicated more by the bitter cold temps (thus much thicker oil viscosity). Swapped out the spring which I think was the 80lb (yellow? not sure) one for whatever was the stocker type (60lb/green??) and never had a problem since.