Oil in ducting question...

Dr. Freeze

I've got some oil in the ducting from the turbo to i/c and i/c to throttle body....There's also some oil under the turbo and it looks like something has been leaking there. I pulled the ducting off a little while ago to get to the O2 sensor and noticed this. There looks to be a little hole in the PCV so this could attribute to some of the external oil but wouldn't account for the internal amounts. Where the PCV piped into the intake on the turbo it didn't look/feel very oily but there's a "decent" amount of oil in the ducting. This is a 37k mile car; albeit a 17 year old car. I've heard this is fairly common with them...Turbo oil seals failing?? New turbo time?? Thanks for the info since I'm just starting to learn a little about the TR's...
-Jeb

Nobody have any idea what's going on here?? I did check the shaft play on the turbo and can feel no slop whatsoever, neither side to side nor front to back... It also doesn't "feel" like the turbo could be going south because it pulls really hard and boosts very quickly.
-Jeb

pull the maf pipe off the turbo and look in there. Was it in the mouth of the tb? If so...probably turbo seals.:(

Yes, it was up in the t-body and the ducting leading to/from i/c... I couldn't really tell if there was oil in the turbo inlet side (from PCV) but it didn't look to be. Wouldn't there be some slop in the turbo shafts if the seals were going? It's not a big deal if they are, I'll just upgrade the turbo now instead of waiting... :D But I didn't want to spend money on this 37k mile car quite yet; I've got to put my 9 second 1990 Vette back together first!
-Jeb