oil gauge install

ricturbo

Can I install after market oil gauge on the turbo feed ? will that give me my oil pressure or where do I hook it up ? thx

The conventional way is to tee off the brass block the turbo feed is hooked to.

If you do that, you will be taking some of the oil supply from the turbo. See above for the best way...

Forgot to ask: what type of gauge do you have, mechanical or electric??

Good catch. oil isn't going anywhere but to satisfy the gauge. If you do it the conventional way, your gauge will probably register a bit higher since it won't show a loss of the smaller tube diameter going to turbo. too many cervezas...

So would it be ok to tee off at the top of the line??

Top of the line?"
The top of the turbo feed line?
I do believe it has been recommended that you not T into the turbo feed line.
Why?
For one - it is a hack.
And god knows - these cars get hacked on in more than enough ways.
Two - it presents more of an opportunity for leaks around the turbo - oil + hot turbo = not good.
And if you think it thorugh - in all likliehood - your gauge sender is 1/8" NPT. I shudder to think what the fittings and T at the Turbo Oil Feed line would look like in that scenario.

Do it properly
Remove the stock oil pressure feed block - add a new / another T or T block; plumb it properly to your new oil gauge sending unit.
Now personally - I think things can get really clunky and gruesome looking down there in a hurry with big ole honkin' T's back to back.
You can try to go with a more custom approach, with sort of a manifold, or run the line up to a manifold and make the connections there.
But the more "stuff" you add - the more prospects for leaks.
So chose your poison.

Normally - there was - like the water jacket sensors - just a oil pressure SWITCH for the idiot light. The T was added as a cluge by Buick to accomadate the turbo Oil Feed line.
Me - I would consider a nice manifold - or a decent looking set of T's - but as I said - they can look horrible and like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/oil_pressure_senderoil_pressure.htm

Good catch. oil isn't going anywhere but to satisfy the gauge. If you do it the conventional way, your gauge will probably register a bit higher since it won't show a loss of the smaller tube diameter going to turbo. too many cervezas...

Don't believe you will lose any PRESSURE even if you did tap off the turbo feed line.
Diameter = flow.
Believe the pressure at the end of the Turbo Oil Feed line is the exact same pressure at the engine block T.
It just ain't right.

I think I am going to have to send out a few handbooks of Hydraulics / Pneumatics / Fluid Dynamics for Christmas.

OK. But, your thought about hack = leak path should put this to bed. Needs to do it as shown in your link to vortex.
my bad.

Then our job is done here. Consider this thread complete. :D

My charcoal canister?? It was relocated in front of the LF tire with an ATR kit before I bought my car. Basically just a bracket with some worm clamps. Nothing special.