OIL FLOW DIAGRAM IO9

YAKO

I cant find a schematic or diagram of how the oil flows in a 231 ...pump -crank-cam -heads ,,anything would be helpful

Oil flows from the pump up to the oil gallery that runs lengthways thru the block on the passenger side. There is a transfer passage behind the #1 cam bearing which allows oil flow to the other oil gallery that runs lengthways thru the block on the drivers side.

These lengthways passages intersect all of the lifter bores providing oil for the hydraulic plunger mechanism and lubrication. Rocker arms are lubricated via oil traveling from the lifter via the push rod. The cam is lubricated from the lengthways passage on the passenger side.

Oil to the main bearings comes from the cam via another passage in the block. Rod bearings are lubricated by oil from the main bearings via passages in the crank itself. I'm sure someone must have a diagram. I hope I didn't just make this more confusing.

Neal

Oil flows from the pump up to the oil gallery that runs lengthways thru the block on the passenger side. There is a transfer passage behind the #1 cam bearing which allows oil flow to the other oil gallery that runs lengthways thru the block on the drivers side.

These lengthways passages intersect all of the lifter bores providing oil for the hydraulic plunger mechanism and lubrication. Rocker arms are lubricated via oil traveling from the lifter via the push rod. The cam is lubricated from the lengthways passage on the passenger side.

Oil to the main bearings comes from the cam via another passage in the block. Rod bearings are lubricated by oil from the main bearings via passages in the crank itself. I'm sure someone must have a diagram. I hope I didn't just make this more confusing.

Neal
THANKS...Does the last rear main end the flow of oil at the crank ? I guess so

The #4 main bearing lubricates the #6 rod bearing also if that's your question.

Neal