Oil Filter Comparison (& Biggie Oil Filter Part Numbers)

Terbro

Has Member
I did a quick search, and only found a post from years ago. Did search too hard, didn't search too long...but thought I'd make a post, after Googling elsewhere and finding what looks to be a fair comparison of oil filters. Years ago, I had seen a similar comparison, and the conclusion was similar - that Purolator was one of the best (for the more readily available at least) filters.

That said, I did just notice yesterday at my local Advance Auto Parts store, that Purolator now as a "Boss" oil filter. Expensive! $12 ($11.99). Of course I'm interested to know if there's any truth to it being superior, and surely wouldn't mind spending the additional $4 over the PureOne, if there's any real difference. From their advertising shpeal, here: http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/purolatorboss/ both the Boss and PurolatorOne (which I assume to be the PureOne) both claim "99% of dirt removal" ("dirt" is an interesting term, how 'bout debris?), whereas their regular filter only claims 96.5%. So if the filtration itself isn't better, I'm not sure I'd fork out the additional cash.

Also, I just recently reinstalled the stock oil cooler, and also added the "biggie" oil filter adaptor. On one of the forums, I saw that the Purolator L20033 works (or PL... for the PureOne). I noted some of the other filters as well, including the Fram (won't even post that part number, as Fram is crap), but the guy at Advance cross referenced the p/n and came up with Purolator p/n 30001 as compatible. I bought that one, and it fits fine. And it is indeed a biggie (see attached photo)!

I took a photo of his screen, and here are all the compatible filters:

Purolator PL30001 (PureOne)
Purolator PBL30001 (Boss)
Purolator L30001 (Classic)
Mobil1 M1-301
Promotive PH1A
K&N HP3001

Since I just reinstalled the oil cooler, and the biggie filter at the same time, I noticed I need well over 5 quarts of oil...close to six. (with the PL30001 filter). So keep that in mind if/when you decide to upgrade to the biggie filter.

Attachments

• Oil Cooler-lr 022016.jpg
    Oil Cooler-lr 022016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 259
Last edited:
NAPA Gold 1258 is a good, well made filter to use with the Biggie adapter. It's made by WIX. The Purolator BOSS looks pretty well made too.

If you want the best and strongest, find a Baldwin dealer and get the B9

Back when I was in CA, I had a local Baldwin dealer, and used to use them. This, based on a similar filter comparison test that I vaguely remember as rating them the best. That must have been 15 years ago. I'll do a search sometime soon, to see if I can find a refresher comparison test. With all due respect, I like a qualified opinion.

Baldwin B9 !! I get them from my local Grainer. They are also on eBay.

Btw,I cut open a Purolator Classic not too long ago. I was impressed by the quality. Lots of filter media tied neatly with a string. Rubber anti drainback valve.. I use them on my DD's.

My GN gets the Baldwin anyway.

Baldwin B9 !! I get them from my local Grainer. They are also on eBay.

Btw,I cut open a Purolator Classic not too long ago. I was impressed by the quality. Lots of filter media tied neatly with a string. Rubber anti drainback valve.. I use them on my DD's.

My GN gets the Baldwin anyway.

Did you mean Grainger? I hope so...at first, I was going to say we don't have them here in Colorado Springs, but I just went to their website, did a branch search, and we do have one. So I may be in luck with the ol' Baldwin B9's locally if so!

Off subject Terry,but where can I get me a fancy wastegate clip from? An In chrome to.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Off subject Terry,but where can I get me a fancy wastegate clip from? An In chrome to.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Victor right? How ya doing? Are you saying you remember mine? If so, I'm impressed! Wastegate Actuator Clip World on the corner of 5th and Main has a pretty fair selection. ;) Sorry...couldn't resist. You know, I can't say...it came on the car when I bought it. Honestly, it looks like a roach clip...I wouldn't be too surprised if a head shop carries clips like that. Ah...just figured it out. It's an alligator clip. And they're dirt cheap on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Stainl...834053?hash=item280ffb8685:g:1JMAAOSwGotWnITn Chrome, just like you hoped! Don't know if those are just right...so shop around maybe.