Oil feed line Restrictor

RegalT-type85

I bought a braided oil feed line and heard I might need a restrictor. Is this true? I know what it doesn't or help with OIL psi to turbo from being to high, blowing it throw the seals.

Is this only for BB or journal as well?

Any info on this would be great. thanks:cool:

The type of turbo bearing generally determines if you need a restrictor or not.

The restrictor usually comes on the BB turbo when you buy it and usually a -3 feedline is recommended to feed it.

For the journal bearing you generally don't need a restrictor but can buy a restrictor or use a -3 line like I did to help limit the smoking if you have pressure issues.

I guess only if I have or get high oil psi enough to push through the turbo seals, sounds good to me. Thanks buddy

I guess only if I have or get high oil psi enough to push through the turbo seals, sounds good to me. Thanks buddy

Would 80psi at cold start on a stock turbo be too much??? :eek:

I have been kicking the idea around. I see some fittings made for this with a 0.035" hole in them for a -4 AN line.

My PTE turbo saver came with a -6 line(when they came out back in the 1996 timeframe). I was getting some oil pushing past the seal and into the exhaust so I tapped the oil fitting and inserted a small set screw. I drilled it out to about .100-.120 of an inch. I believe that was close to the original stock feed line size. Turbo is still going strong years later. Hope this helps.:)

If you use a #6 even with the restrictor on the DBB you will be a mosquito killen fool ,that I can promise.....:biggrin: But u could rent it out to the city.

So what size then?

If you use a #6 even with the restrictor on the DBB you will be a mosquito killen fool ,that I can promise.....:biggrin: But u could rent it out to the city.

What would be the best size restrictor for a stock turbo and -4 line then?

I agree with the -6 being too big. Only reason it is still there is because I have an old a$$ JB turbo and it no longer pushes oil past the seals. On the newer BB stuff i would have to downsize to a -3 or -4 and use the restrictor they supply. I have fogged out Ft. Benning years ago when the stock turbo went. That was a helluva lota smoke! :~)