Oil cooler

GullsGN

OLD HIPPIE
Ok, it looks like I am going the F-body radiator way. Can I eliminate 1 oil line and loop the other back? Will I need any additional fittings or are the fittings the same on both ends of the oil lines?? Thanks a bunch!

Just remove the oil cooler adapter completely if you are eliminating it. Easy to do and less clutter in the motor compartment.

Thanks, Mark. I assume it is just a matter of removing the oil filter and a couple of bolts?

There is an 1 1/8th (maybe 1 1/4?) inch nut that holds the cooler adapter to where the oil filter would spin on. I would suggest removing the lines from the radiator first, then remove the adapter without removing the lines from the adapter. The flare nut tends to rust to the line and can be a PIA to remove.

There is an 1 1/8th (maybe 1 1/4?) inch nut that holds the cooler adapter to where the oil filter would spin on. I would suggest removing the lines from the radiator first, then remove the adapter without removing the lines from the adapter. The flare nut tends to rust to the line and can be a PIA to remove.

What he said.:) Once the adapter is off the oil filter screws right on to where the adapter was.

dont mean to hijack but im just curious.. what are the pros and cons to removing the oil cooler completely like posted above?????

Ask yourself why did they put the oil cooler on the car to begin with?

The TTA had a oil to H20 cooler as well though not in the radiator like the TR's? why would pontiac put it back on eth car 2 years after the last LC2 was used in a production platform if it wasnt needed?

Extended blasts on the interstate or back to back WOT 1/4 mile assualts will get the oil real hot due to the turbo.... Oil cooler is needed IMO

I used to run W/O one and I put it back on the car

The TTA had a oil to H20 cooler as well though not in the radiator like the TR's? why would pontiac put it back on eth car 2 years after the last LC2 was used in a production platform if it wasnt needed?

Extended blasts on the interstate or back to back WOT 1/4 mile assualts will get the oil real hot due to the turbo.... Oil cooler is needed IMO

Ya, they also put in a 180* stat, a crappy chip, a weak fuel pump, the Powermaster, an 85 mph speedo, no guages, and the slowest power windows on the planet! They did't get everything right.

dont mean to hijack but im just curious.. what are the pros and cons to removing the oil cooler completely like posted above?????

Pros are:

Cleaning up the motor compartment.
Less areas for potential leaks-adapter, hoses, connections to radiator.
No chance of cross contamination of oil/coolant if the oil cooler springs a leak.
Less weight-not much but every little bit helps

Cons-potentially higher oil temps though I have not seen any difference since eliminating mine about a year ago.

I am also only running an external cooler for my transmission and that is keeping temps well within reason. Have the one with the fan mounted on it. Was told that wouldn't work but it sure got a workout this summer. I would like to find a different thermostat for it though as I think the B&M one waits too long to turn the fan on.

Give it up --you're wasting your time !!!

This comes up @ least once a month--I agree with you and used to give my view point--I quit--I know what happens because I have an oil temp gage--most naysayer don't.

The subject comes up quite a bit.
Oil temperatures don't drop the way coolant does. It's a much slower process. If nothing else, it's cheap insurance for your turbo and your motor. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to keep the oil cool. Like anything else, there's various opinions whether to have one on a performance turbo car but I don't think anyone car argue that having one, is a bad thing.

Just added a fbody radiator this week and was pretty impressed with how much cooler the car runs.Deff a great upgrade.
I went with a oil cooler myself.Everything together was under 100 bucks,so im my opinion it was cheap insurance...esp with the other money that i dont bat an eye at spending that have no effect on the motor living a long life.
Only added about an hours time to the whole swap