Oil contamination in turbo

Jordan_J

I mailed my turbo to Precision for a rebuild due to it burning oil badly and they said oil that was contaminated passed through the turbo and the entire center section needs replaced. What could cause contamination to pass through the turbo with a "turbo saver" filter kit installed? Unless something got into the turbo when I had some of the motor apart?

Do you run a oil cooler? If your motor was down for a rebuild because of failure, and you have a oil cooler... this can be a culprit for contaminated oil to be reintroduced into your fresh engine/and or turbo. Unless it is flushed good or replaced, I heard of a few stories about this subject and don't run a oil cooler myself.
You may want to cut your filter apart and look for metal particles... apparently some got by your filter.

Chuck

Do you run a oil cooler? If your motor was down for a rebuild because of failure, and you have a oil cooler... this can be a culprit for contaminated oil to be reintroduced into your fresh engine/and or turbo. Unless it is flushed good or replaced, I heard of a few stories about this subject and don't run a oil cooler myself.
You may want to cut your filter apart and look for metal particles... apparently some got by your filter.

Chuck

Absolutely, I figured that is what took out my motor. I put clean solvent through it and put a pressure hose through it numerous times. But those U bends act like a trap, just like on a sink.

Nope I don't have an oil cooler but I recently changed the oil and sometime last summer was the last time I did due to a cam lobe failing. Unless I had a failure with the saver oil filter at some point I really don't see how it could have happened.

Likely..

Nope I don't have an oil cooler but I recently changed the oil and sometime last summer was the last time I did due to a cam lobe failing. Unless I had a failure with the saver oil filter at some point I really don't see how it could have happened.

because oil filters are not a 100% efficient trap.
And, some filters are not very efficient, to begin with.

Cleaning a cooler is an "iffy" proposition, at best. Coolers have "turbulaters" in the tubes, to create turbulence. [Adds efficiency to the cooler]. Once these are exposed to trash, you won't get them truly clean...

Also, relying on a filter change to clean up a cam failure is not going to happen. It's engine tear down/ clean time...

oil cooler

quick question guys, obviously running a factory oil cooler is not a must as i see alot of guys dont run one,and those of you who dont run a oil cooler have you seen any adverse effects from not running one? i am also thinking about not running one for those reasons mentioned above, so when you aliminate the cooler how do you guys recommend doing so just plug the cooler lines?

oil cooler

ok last question!! so does the oil go through the cooler first then the filter or filter and cooler

Do not..

quick question guys, obviously running a factory oil cooler is not a must as i see alot of guys dont run one,and those of you who dont run a oil cooler have you seen any adverse effects from not running one? i am also thinking about not running one for those reasons mentioned above, so when you aliminate the cooler how do you guys recommend doing so just plug the cooler lines?

just plug the lines. That will shut off oil circulation. Remove the cooler line adapter, and install the filter directly to the pump....

Pump thru filter, out to cooler, back to engine...

just plug the lines. That will shut off oil circulation. Remove the cooler line adapter, and install the filter directly to the pump....

Pump thru filter, out to cooler, back to engine...

+ 1 Take the adapter off at the oil filter and plug the ports at the radiator itself.
Have not noticed any effect of not having a oil cooler, oil is hotter no doubt, but I just use decent oil and change it regularly, ok I change my oil more then what I would have to but, it's not stock anymore and I do race the car at the track, a few times a year.

Chuck

oil cooler

by doing so that would also make all the oil go through the filter ? correct kind of like plugging the bypass...thanks guys..