Oil circuit/path?

proptop

Does any know how the oil feeds thru the 231 motor? I am having a ticking noise in the motor and I know the T&D rockers are set right. The Comp lifters make a little noise but not like this one. The noise is in the valvetrain. I think it is the #2 exhaust.
Thanks,
Bob

The oil feeds from the front. Too galleys on each side. The left side is fed from a crossover in the cam front journal or a groove behind the front cam bearing. The right side theoretically has an advantage on start up because it's a shorter distance from the pump and doesn't have to cross over at the front bearing position.

Either pre-load issue, or the dreaded Comp lifter issue. Could be low oil pressure. What oil pressure are you seeing? If you have 10 psi at hot idle, you are OK.

I have allways had this noise. Some days louder than others. Oil pressure is 50/55 lbs cold and about 35/40 hot the last time that I checked it. I did read last night that Mr. Cotton had a T&D setup that the bearings were not seated all the way in and the oil would escape out the side of the rocker. I will check that next. Car runs good just has that noise that gets under my skin.
Thanks,
Bob

There isnt going to be a huge hemmorage that on the top end thats going to cause a huge drop in oil PSI. As asked by Ken whats your oil psi in gear with the engine FULLY heat soaked? and what weight oil and brand filter?

The oil is 10/40 from Advance. Not sure what the in gear pressure is. Might have to get the wife to check it WHILE I put in gear just in case she is tired of that old car. I really think there is something wrong with that set of rockers. I have another set just T&D rockers just didn't want to tear everything apart. It is a pain with tall covers and heater box.
Bob

If you are not seeing oil to one bank then it could be the crossover clogged with debris

Sir,
I have two vents on the motor so I can see oil running along the head rail while it is running. I am going to install a washer behind the oil pump spring and see if that changes the noise. Also your question about the filter. I am runnig a Wix 51036 if my memory is correct. The noise is not real bad and it might just be the Comp lifters that everyone talks about. Car performance does not seem to be affected by the noise as it has run as quick an 11.48 at 115 on MT street radial, TE-44, 24 lbs of boost, pump gas with alky, closed exhaust. Car and driver is 3910lbs. I am just trying to figure this noise out before I really turn it up. Thanks Guy's for all of the help.
Bob

Wht are you shimming the spring when you have no clue what the oil psi is? Figure that out first

Shimming the bypass spring will not do much for running oil pressure. That comes into play when/if oil pressure exceeds the spring pressure.

Clicking sound is the nature of the beast with roller lifters. The clicking noise comes from the cross bars that connects them together. Unless the noise is getting worse, I would not worry too much.

RL

I have an annoying ticking in my motor and feel the same way I hate it!!! I've debated on pulling the intake and changing out lifters although mine are Morel's...A friend of mine said the noise was probably a link bar shifting back and forth making the noise not a collasping lifter...

Guy's
My Buddy Fastair 6 said the same thing, just leave it be. He has heard the noise and thinks just like everyone else on here valve train (Comp lifters =noise).
Thanks for all of the help.
Bob