oh the pain!

mr_85regal

Lead foot and a slow car
ok guys i need some assistance. the kid im gettin the carb and intake from accidently ripped a wire or two outa the carb. he says its on the frnt of the carb hat run underneth the front of the carb? what wires ran to the carb? its off a 84 Regal 4.1. im goin to go to starkys tomorrow and see if they have a q-jet for atleast 20 bones. he says h strpped the casing off them... im talkin to him as i write this thred. someoe tell me if its worth it? i hope its manageable

Those are probably for the heated EFE grid which your current 3.8 doesn't use. It looks like a carb gasket with heaters under each primary bore. I believe the 4.1's had these.

Your 3.8 should have a vacuum actuated EFE (butterfly) in the right side exhaust manifold. I just looked at a 4.1 intake and it looks like it has the exhaust crossover for the vacuum EFE. (The butterfly closes when cold, and hot exhaust gases travel thru passages in the heads and intake. That warms up the intake for cold driveability.)

I'm not quite sure why the 4.1 would be set up for both. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

I wouldn't worry at all about it. You likely don't need it with the 3.8 and it's vacuum EFE. And you probably can't even use it anyways since your 3.8 will lack the wiring for it.

Rich,

Are you talking about the piece that resembles a carb spacer/thick gasket?. With the honeycomb looking things under the primaries? So that isnt needed on a carb/intake swap from a 4.1 to 3.8?

My car came with that EFE grid, It has been removed and the only problem I have is that it needs a little more time to warm up on cold mornings.
IMHO with it removed air fows better.
Jim

If you keep the 3.8's vacuum EFE, I would think the 4.1's electric EFE would be redundent. Just use a normal carb gasket.

I also remember reading about a intake gasket that has a smaller hole for the EFE intake crossover passages. This keeps the intake a little cooler, but still lets the EFE work. (Sometimes people completely block these passages off.) The gasket was for a 1980 Turbo V6. I think Freddie is using one of these.

The 1981/83 Turbo V6 doesn't have these intake passages. That's why it has the electric EFE grid.