200-4R strength and cooling question

Dom87SS

this is a couple of my posts put together from another board...

well i was pretty set on swapping out my 200-4R for a th400. but i really dont wanna get rid of that over drive. then i got to thinkin today. the car will probably only run 12's or so on motor, which i dont see any problem with the 200 handling, but am weary when i wanna spray it into the 11's. trans guy told me not to spray on these tans, but i figure if i get a built one (a better built one i should say) there should be no reason for it not to handle 100-200 horse every so often right? the only thing i can think of why it might not like the carb'd stuf is the linkage. i have a demon now and the throw of it is different than a q-jet/eddy/afb style. i know they make those adapters for holley's and such. but what do you guys think

now for cooling it. i have a external trans cooler and obviously the stock radiator style. i was gonna plumb it so it ran into the radiator then out into the external then back to the trans as recommended by the trans guy. but a couple people i know dont even use the radiator to cool it. so whats the proper way to do it and whats better for the longevity of the trans

p.s.- i know there are plenty fast 200's out there, but most if not all are turbo motors. even off a trans brake a turbo 6 wont hit the trans like spray does. the guy that built my current trans is one of the best around for 200's, lucky for me he is local to me. it was just words of advise from him, unless i wanted to go through it at least once a year. but maybe ill give him a call back and see what he has to say about the new combo. before i was planning on sprayin 350ish through a built motor which may have let him to say what he did

well talkin the engine over tonight with the (re)builder, he sayit should make a easy 450hp if not near 550 on motor. which i didnt think it would, and spray on top of that might be a tad too much for this thing. i still wanna talk to jimmy about it and get his opinion, even though i know hw will tell me not to spray it. thestuff im getting made 520hp on a 355 with 11:1, a 550 lift cam, untouched heads, and a 370cfm carb. it was a circle track motor but i have no limit to carb/cam ect since its for me. so he predicts with tuning to be greater than that.

the only other thing i worry about is the tv cable. i burnt my first trans up not having it adjusted right. and tv made ez makes a braketfor "street" demons, and i have a mighty demon. i imagine the throw is the same, but still id like to know

this is a couple of my posts put together from another board.............

....p.s.- i know there are plenty fast 200's out there, but most if not all are turbo motors. even off a trans brake a turbo 6 wont hit the trans like spray does. the guy that built my current trans is one of the best around for 200's, lucky for me he is local to me. it was just words of advise from him, unless i wanted to go through it at least once a year. ..........

Definately not a tranny expert, but have lots of experience with racing using a 200-4R and a TH 400. First, I can tell you a turbo car can launch as hard, or harder, than a carbed car even w/spray.:)

The 200 does not have a problem with first gear launches, the weak point is the 2-3 shift with a clutch apply. This is why after 50-100 hard 1/4 mile runs, low 11's or better, the trans will usually need a freshen.

Lots of GN's run 10's with a good built 200, and considering they are 3700#'s or so, this tranny does a great job.

If you decide to do this route, best to find an EXPERIENCED builder that has done performance 200's. There are a few here in this forum.:smile:

ya the guy id have do it has built many strong 200's. he has a few customers in the 9's and 10's with a load in the 11-13's. its lake country trans, formerly jimmy's trans