Officially back in the Buick family!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I have been away from the Buick family since the early 2000s, and now I finally have one again!

A few years back, my best friend (and brother in law) who was a TR enhusiast too passed away leaving his wife (my wifes sister) and 2 very young children behind.

The car was parked in early 2003 soon before his first boy was born. With how life goes the car sat in the garage and he didn't have time to drive it between his kid (2nd one on the way), work and other hobbies. A couple years he passes away from bladder cancer at 39 years old. After he passed his wife wanted to keep the car for his boys.

Over the past few years attempts to get the garage cleared up enough to get to the car we never successful. A few months back I offered to buy the car from her, she accepted. She knew the car would just sit there and rot in the garage and realisticly she could not keep it for my nephews.

After 4 hours of work to get the car out of the garage I had it towed over to my house. Now come the fun part, getting it started after 8+ years. The shopping list of what I need keeps growing :p

The car has ~100K miles on it total, under 15K on the rebuilt engine, ~20K on the trans

The good part is the car has a ton of stuff done to it and I know it because I spun the wrenches on a good part of it:
.030 over 109 block capped with forged pistions
cam is a 206/206 I think
mildly ported heads
60-1 Stage IV turbo with precision exhaust housing
Terry Houston down pipe
Dequick V2 FM IC
KB 70mm TB, plenum
rjc power plate
Turbo-Saver
55# injectors
Original MAF-Translator with LS6 maf
GNX style dash
walbro 307 pump hotwired
KB 9/11 converter
Toy Shop built trans with stage-rite transbrake
KB rear seat brace
moser axles
air bags
rebuilt posi
billet rear cover
kenne bell cat back exhaust
hotchkis front and rear sway bars
hotchkis upper and lower control arms
poly motor mounts
new body bushings
new front control arm bushings
4-core radiator
vac brake conversion

The Bad:
Sitting in the garage, for some reason my friend put a couple gallons of muratic acid behind the car, it was there for years and when I pulled them out they were "sealed" but half empty. The result of that is all the chrome parts are toast.
Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, emblems. I'm hoping it didn't do anything to the frame.

The car got a few dents sitting in the garage, one I didn't notice till I got it home and washed it. Something big must of fell on it as there is a dent in the roof near the windshield on the passanger side. There are other dings and scratches but nothing huge. The paint looks actually quite good considering it was a $500 Maaco job back in the late 90s. The tires were flat but they seem ok since I put air in them, no cracks.

Front bumper fillers are cracked, hood struts are shot, the mufflers may have rusted, and have a 1/2 tank of 8yr old gas to pump out :/

Couple pics when I took it out of her garage, more to come soon when I find my camera at home:
86TType1.jpg86TType2.jpg

Chris

Nice.
Looks like it's all there. Even has some good parts. Let us know how it goes. Hope to see it at one of the get togethers some day.

Mike Barnard

The gas tank is probably loaded with rust & should be removed for inspection. I would also change the oil & filter ,remove the cam sensor & use a priming tool to get oil back up into the engine. Only then would I attempt to start it.Good luck with bringing it back to life.

The gas tank is probably loaded with rust & should be removed for inspection. I would also change the oil & filter ,remove the cam sensor & use a priming tool to get oil back up into the engine. Only then would I attempt to start it.Good luck with bringing it back to life.

I have a laundry list of stuff to do before I try and start it. I didn't think about rust in the tank, I will probably drop it and take a look. It sucks there appears to be about 1/2 a tank. I also have to find a way to dispose of the old gas too...

If you have a spare electric fuel pump, this is a nice way to drain the tank. My car sat for 4-5 years and I used an electric pump to pull off a sample into a large glass jar so I could take a look at what I was in for. Be prepared for the fuel to be varnished and I would suggest ordering a good replacement pump as you'll most likely need one.

Good luck!

Good news so far. The car runs! I still need to get some of the old gas out but it starts, idles, stops and go's and made it around the block (no boost).

The mufflers actually look ok, just some surface rust. Everything under the hood looks good, hoses, belt, etc. I guess being in a garage in an area temps don't vary much must of helped that.

Now to head back to my sis-in-laws and dig through the garage for the stock parts so I can get it through smog :/ Anyone know of a good test-only station in north OC?

A few more pics

86TType3.jpg
86TType4.jpg
Ouch...
86TType5.jpg