OEM weld quality??

gnon18s

I recently tore my car down to the bare frame. After a good degrease/power wash, I was surprised to see how bad alot of the factory frame welds look! Below are just two examples.

This is the area around the front upper control arm mount (towards engine bay)..
bad weld1.jpg

This is where the front k-member meets the frame rail (near the oil pan).. you can see a hole burned through about three-quarters down.
bad weld2.jpg

The first one dosent look factory but I wasnt alive back then so cant be sure haha. I just got done my frame off resoration and noticed the same thing as you, very lazy welding but they probably figured who will ever see them. I ended up grinding each weld down and rewelding it so it was smooth and clean looking. Alot of work but when I was done it looked amazing!!! So if this isnt going to be a race car I suggest you do the same.

Most people will never see their frames completely stripped and down to bare metal, thats why I posted these. My frame seriously looked better with road grime and oil residue. I need to get this thing re-coated in primer and paint ASAP before too many people see it! Im going to do some touch up welding and grinding to fix some of these ugly areas before I paint.

The first one dosent look factory but I wasnt alive back then so cant be sure haha. I just got done my frame off resoration and noticed the same thing as you, very lazy welding but they probably figured who will ever see them. I ended up grinding each weld down and rewelding it so it was smooth and clean looking. Alot of work but when I was done it looked amazing!!! So if this isnt going to be a race car I suggest you do the same.
They are both from the factory, rite down to the piece of mig wire still hanging on. Your rite about them figuring most people will never see them. Even if you see a stripped down frame its usually dirty, rusty, or both and that hides a lot of it. Auto manufacturers make alot of money by pumping out cars very fast. This is the result of assembly line welding going balls to the wall.

When I started on my frame I was shocked how bad QC was on the frame. Here's an example of one spot I welded and you can see the track where the welding robot missed an entire 8" section. I went over my entire frame and did a ton of welding and it made a huge difference in stiffness.;)
DSCN0013.JPGDSCN0014.JPG

charlief1 said:
When I started on my frame I was shocked how bad QC was on the frame. Here's an example of one spot I welded and you can see the track where the welding robot missed an entire 8" section. I went over my entire frame and did a ton of welding and it made a huge difference in stiffness.;)

You said huge! And stiffness!!!!

I've heard of spots being completely missed, so far I havent seen that. Im sending mine out for sandblasting next week. when I get it back i'll check it closer.

I've heard of spots being completely missed, so far I havent seen that. Im sending mine out for sandblasting next week. when I get it back i'll check it closer.
Do yourself a favor and reweld all the seams. Once it's blasted you'll know how bad the welds really are.

Those welds are called "Gorilla Snot" in industry LOL. I have yet to see a gbody that didnt have welds like that on it. My current GN has crap welds and mig wire "Hairs" that ive broken off in several places. Union quality go figure HA!!!

the factory spec for the frame was + or - 1". Now you know why downpipes / exhaust systems fit some cars but not others

I found those booger welds on mine too at the front lower control arm mounting brackets. I thought someone relocated them, it was just booger welds.

If anything redo the welds on the rear of the frame, also check out what the lowrider crew does to theirs. THe rear section is flimsy as hell. I didn't know about what frame builders did with these cars otherwise I would have done way more work to mine and not bothered with those junk "seat braces"

One of the best mods you can do is weld a tube at the top of the rear crossmember. That's 1 of the weakest spots on the frame and has been known to crack. Pardon the welds but the MIG was having some issues. I got good penatration but it looked like crap.:oops:
DSCN0002.JPG

I've seen some welds on my front cross member that I wouldn't trust holding anything. I have also heard that this is the industry standard, I guess nobody takes pride in their work anymore.

One of the best mods you can do is weld a tube at the top of the rear crossmember. That's 1 of the weakest spots on the frame and has been known to crack. Pardon the welds but the MIG was having some issues. I got good penatration but it looked like crap.:oops:
View attachment 170404
thats what the l.owrider crowd is doing, except they box the whole section in

A robot welded that crap???? I highly doubt it! Looks like shit welding by people imo. its amazing the frames didn't fall apart after all these years or control arm mounts breaking off.

I have the same crappy welds on my frame as well. Pulled the motor few weeks ago an didn't notice them until I pressure washed all the dirt an grime off. Makes me wish I never cleaned it off haha now I'm going back an welding them again so I know they're good solid welds. Thought maybe someone at one point welded it back but appears to be factory :(