OEM black or a deeper black

Jims project

Jims project
getting ready for paint.. my question is when you guys have repainted your cars has it been oem or a deeper black, like ppg 9700.. or ppg 1683dbc which i think is there pure black..thoughts and opinions?

When I get around to having mine painted, it will be pure black. A friend of mine painted his pure black several years ago. When parked next to OEM black GN's, his just looks different. Makes some folks scratch their heads.

I was leaning towards the pure black too. any other opinions? I know more of you have painted your cars

can someone verify if this is the correct paint code for the ppg pure black 1683dbc.. I think i found it in this forum sometime back.

house of kolor "jet set black" came out quite nicely.

DSCN0610.jpg

Mine was painted with sikkens jet black. Same black on Mercedes and BMW's.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120607_231954.png
    ForumRunner_20120607_231954.png
    485.4 KB · Views: 851
PPG DBC 9700 has no other colors but black. It is blacker than the Ace of Spades!! Get a good clear too.

getting ready for paint.. my question is when you guys have repainted your cars has it been oem or a deeper black, like ppg 9700.. or ppg 1683dbc which i think is there pure black..thoughts and opinions?
1683 or 9700 pure Black. Been doing these cars for 25plus years and the best to me are 1683or 9700 PPG.
Dont matter what brand of paint you'r using pure black tint is pure Black tint..

5-12-12 (4).JPG

"Jet Black" is what most use now,The Original paint was "Black Lacquer"...This is my hood now,I'll have the
recipe when car's finished, it's still in assembly

all the pics I see is making it much easier..I'll do pure black.. HelloBozos I'm curious about your recipe?

all the pics I see is making it much easier..I'll do pure black.. HelloBozos I'm curious about your recipe?

Guy said BEF ,BSFE ,BMEF , or some kind of paint like that ,wasn't any listed above,The guy swears by it for Black,I'll get the recipe soon,All i know is: black epoxy shot,sanded an smoothed,then painted,after curing sanded with 800,1200,1600 then polished.
threads for my builds in this same section under " 87' GN last time under the Knife "

if u want that deep look sand the base with 1500 grit then clear coat it 3 coats wet sand it again with 1000 grit then reclear 3 coats then sand and buff will look like glass and deep finish

im also about to paint my car and im thinking about jet too. but a friend of mine just told me about "pitch black" said its the deepest darkest black there is.... anyone heard of it?

im also about to paint my car and im thinking about jet too. but a friend of mine just told me about "pitch black" said its the deepest darkest black there is.... anyone heard of it?
who told u this "pitch black" what band is it. does you're friend own's a shop or work in body work field..

owns a shop. he says its the best. and he always uses it... ill have to get the brand and stuff from him.

if u want that deep look sand the base with 1500 grit then clear coat it 3 coats wet sand it again with 1000 grit then reclear 3 coats then sand and buff will look like glass and deep finish

This is the right way for a show car.
and some one is doing it for you, and he own a shop and know what he doing,you better have a Deep pocket...

What is the paint code for the OEM 1987 laquer black?

I agree the PPG and other pure blacks look better but I'm having to replace the fillers on my street GN which is still wearing it's 25 year old factory original laquer paint. It's not perfect but it's only seen rain maybe 5x in its life so I want to hold off on a respray as long as possible.