odometer repair

bigguns

Pulled the cluster and found that I had the rotten yellow gear that runs off the worm gear. It is a pressed pin that holds the gear on. Can I grind the pin and get a replacement gear and reinstall or do I need to find another odometer assembly. If so which cars are suitable doners?
20151020_165014.jpg

I just had mine repaired..DNA Speedometer repair..in Tampa, FL Took about a week to get it back..Best price I found.
813-875-8226

Thanks, I called them. 130.00 . Pretty pricey for a plastic gear install. If someone doesn't chime in on a way to get the gear and install it myself, I will have to go that route.
Thanks.

Thanks, I called them. 130.00 . Pretty pricey for a plastic gear install. If someone doesn't chime in on a way to get the gear and install it myself, I will have to go that route.
Thanks.
It sounds pricey, but if they're the only ones that can fix it you have no choice. The repair looks basic, but if you break something than what? A month from now you won't' even miss that money. Have it fixed, and be done with it.

Head over to the turbotransam.com board and do a search. Jan went through this exercise and posted detailed pictures. It involved buying a used speedometer (preferably with low miles) and swapping parts. My understanding is that any 120 mph speedometer or higher works.

Only problem is finding a standalone speedometer. More than likely, you need to find an entire instrument cluster. I got one with about 50k miles for $100.

Either way, not the cheapest fix.

Good luck

If you buy a used cluster, it's a 20 years old plastic gear, you will probably take a day or two to find a decent cluster...
I agree it's a $5 dollar part, if you could find a new one...I looked all over ebay, and other sights, the other speedo shops wanted $300 or more...

Yep, I agree about putting a 20 year old part in. It would seem like someone would have come across a place to get a new gear. I destroyed mine taking it apart. I did take lots of pictures and dimensions. The guys that do the repairs get them somewhere. Maybe a place that works on r.c. cars??? I'm in no hurry. Got more time than $$.

Got it done. Austin Radio & Speedometer Service in Houston. Phone # 713-659-7920. I took the gear assembly to them and they fixed it while I waited. They even offered to sell me the gear so that I could fix it myself. Good people and very reasonable price.